Pipes Magazine » Tobacco Legislation

Tags:   

Danish Pipe Shop Muzzled

(57 posts)
  1. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The much-beloved Danish Pipe Shop reports this morning that, due to recent revisions to Danish law, they will be barred from any advertising, including sending out their email and print newsletter. Will this affect their PipesMagazine site sponsorship? I’ve emailed them to ask that question.

The email:

Hello Dan

Dear friend of The Danish Pipe Shop!

As you might remember we recently asked you to verify that you were living outside Denmark in order to receive our news mail. This was to make sure we didn't violate any Danish laws. Unfortunately, we have learned that by Danish law a news mail is always perceived as advertising for tobacco or tobacco related products. This happens despite the receiver (you) is over 18 and has signed and accepted for it. Nevertheless, Danish authorities have emphasized that sending news mails to receivers outside of Denmark is also considered illegal, because we as a company have to comply with the laws that applies in the country, we are sending them from (in this case Denmark). In other words: We can't send out news mails anymore.

Whether we can send news mails out about non-tobacco products (books, flasks, grappa, rum etc.) is right now investigated, but naturally the effect is that you won't hear so much from us as we would like.

Another change we have been forced to make is to remove the Special Webshop Offer section. By Danish law it's illegal to advocate for tobacco and tobacco related product with price reductions. So, having a 'before and now' price is illegal i Denmark. We have changed this section to New Price, however, you will only be able to see the current price.

We are naturally sad about this situation in general and especially since we here in 2019 celebrate our 50th anniversary. As a close follower of us we just wanted to let you know that we are not dead and encourage you to check the website now and then.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Don't hesitate to contact us or me personally for questions.

Kind regards Nikolaj Nielsen, nn@danishpipeshop.com

CEO of The Danish Pipe Shop

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So my vice, isn't the PC vice?

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 6 months ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And I always thought of Denmark as being such an enlightened nation.

Posted 6 months ago #
  4. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

False narrative, apparently.

Posted 6 months ago #
  5. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everywhere is enlightened if your views happen to mirror those of the majority in control. So if you consider a place that finds a man puffing on another man's genitals acceptable but finds pipe smoking reprehensible, Denmark is indeed enlightened.

Posted 6 months ago #
  6. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What they need is an extremely prolonged government shutdown...solves all kinds of problems. Find a way to make it permanent and your troubles are over.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 6 months ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

piper64

Login to Send PM

You kill me hoosier

Faugh a Ballagh
    Posted 6 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerfer

Login to Send PM

What's most chilling is how quickly the Danish Pipe Shop has complied with all of these regulations in Denmark. You don't ask the gov't how high they'd like you to jump unless you know they will back up their laws with severe sanctions. There's a fine line between prudence and fear sometimes.

I bought my first "good" pipe from the DPS, and I still have a couple of tins of Brown Sugar Flake. It's not quite RIP time, but it's getting close. These incremental steps are really disheartening.

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Which reminds me, a Forums member gifted me with a new tin of Brown Sugar Flake, and after a respectful time aging it, I opened it. It didn't last long! Mighty fine.

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What's most chilling is how quickly the Danish Pipe Shop has complied with all of these regulations in Denmark.
    I don’t believe that anyone here is privy to the process that the Danish Pipe Shop went through before complying with these new regulations. Nor are we conversant in how Danish law and regulations in these matters are administered and enforced. To suggest that a company should not comply with laws and regulations rings hollow when you have no stake in the outcome or understanding of the possible consequences of non-compliance. .

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not going to comment on how 'enlightened' one place is over another, but this is another example of the disparity of tobacco regulations are across the world.

Posted 6 months ago #
  12. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just received a package from them. They are very much alive. The pressure they are under is the pressure of public opinion enforced by politics, that smoking should cease to exist. They can do nothing about that.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  13. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Makes me want to buy something from them!

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 6 months ago #
  14. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mark, too funny.

If this shop wants to get around the regulations I am quite sure it is not difficult. Create an off shore LLC and go from there.

Harris
    Posted 6 months ago #
  15. ron123

ron123

Login to Send PM

I got that email, too, and that news sucks. They seem like a nice group of people, too. I've made a few purchases from them over the last couple of years, and they were fine to deal with. Amazing that they can't even email us updates anymore...

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pressure they are under is the pressure of public opinion enforced by politics

Democracy in action. Two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

Posted 6 months ago #
  17. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, you need to offer up your consulting services to them.

Posted 6 months ago #
  18. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I mean you could just say you live in Denmark and get emails right?

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They (gov't) have ways to pinpoint your location. Not even a VPN is that reliable anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're monitoring the Danish Shop's web traffic.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 6 months ago #
  20. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I mean you could just say you live in Denmark and get emails right?
    No.
    They are forbidden by law from advertising domestically.

Now, this makes me wonder: How is STG (also based in Denmark) affected by these regulations?

Posted 6 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerfer

Login to Send PM

To suggest that a company should not comply with laws and regulations rings hollow when you have no stake in the outcome or understanding of the possible consequences of non-compliance. .

I did not suggest that they not comply. In fact, if anything, I said the exact opposite.

Posted 6 months ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Everywhere is enlightened if your views happen to mirror those of the majority "Minority" in control."

It's pretty consistent in any election statistics I've seen that only around half the population is interested in directing government.
    That being said, I'm sure the same is true in terms of media control. You have small groups of people bent on controlling larger groups and going to great lengths to interfere in the lives of others, on pretty much all sides of all spectrums this ends up being a negative thing.

Posted 6 months ago #
  23. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cerfer, my apologies for misunderstanding your post.

Posted 6 months ago #
  24. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The real culprit is not gov't's, which are only enactors being directed. This is the real train wrecker: WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control.

It's an organism full of unelected blackguards, accountable to no one, deciding on the tune governments must pipe and make the people dance to. It's not consistent yet accross the world board because some governments are facing challenges or delays in enacting it. But if you study the document and then study the patterns of things happening with tobacco regulation you'll see it's all there.

I just got a response from one of those MPs we, the population in a 'democracy', are s'posed to turn to for help against tyranical legislation:

"Thank you for writing to [MP] regarding cigars and pipe tobacco products and the Tobacco Products Regulations (Plain and Standardized Appearance).
    The evidence of the long-term health risks associated with tobacco use is clear. Exposure to tobacco increases a person's risk of developing cancer or other life-threatening diseases. For this reason, we are proposing that the plain and standardized packaging measures apply to all tobacco products, including premium cigars and specialty tobacco. The World Health Organization has also adopted guidelines for the implementation of plain and standardized packaging which recommend that all tobacco products be covered by these measures." (Emphasis mine.)

Cat's long been out of the bag. The bosun's cat. What's the name of the bosun's cat?

Posted 6 months ago #
  25. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

What's the name of the bosun's cat?

Scourge

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 6 months ago #
  26. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wonder if there is a work around? Maybe having a shell corp outside the EU that does the advertising? Something.

Posted 6 months ago #
  27. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"The FCTC (Framework Convention oin Tobacco Contro), one of the most quickly ratified treaties in United Nations history,[5] is a supranational agreement that seeks "to protect present and future generations from the devastating health, social, environmental and economic consequences of tobacco consumption and exposure to tobacco smoke" by enacting a set of universal standards stating the dangers of tobacco and limiting its use in all forms worldwide.[1][6] To this end, the treaty's provisions include rules that govern the production, sale, distribution, advertisement, and taxation of tobacco. FCTC standards are, however, minimum requirements, and signatories are encouraged to be even more stringent in regulating tobacco than the treaty requires them to be.[6]"

I read this a few years ago and could see tobacco's doom by the interlocking strategies coordinated on a worldwide basis.

Posted 6 months ago #
  28. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

interlocking strategies coordinated on a worldwide basis

"It's a big idea...a new world order!" -- GHWB

Posted 6 months ago #
  29. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see that we have finally connected the dots.
    Congratulations, gentlemen.

Posted 6 months ago #
  30. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The sight of that scourge helped a lot.

Posted 6 months ago #
  31. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer this cat. It takes up less room in the luggage.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  32. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It takes up less room in the luggage.

Yes, but that one doesn't look nearly as motivating.

Remember, the FCTC specifically encouraged the use something more "stringent":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdkgV3MFkr0

Posted 6 months ago #
  33. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the one hand all these "governmental" organizations are against anything the perceive as being bad for your health. While the other hand are the "governmental" organizations decrying the over-population of the world and supporting assisted suicide and abortions.

All of these organizations need is to just leave us alone.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 6 months ago #
  34. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let’s try not to touch the third rail here, and stay on-topic.
    We all know what it takes to have a thread closed.

Posted 6 months ago #
  35. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It appears to be time to get ... in before the lock!

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  36. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They had no qualms in sending my ass to S Asia to get shot up, now tobbacos gonna kill me, never had a pack of cigs , cigars, or pipes shoot at me.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 6 months ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

mitch11

Login to Send PM

well its been a slice. im leaving this forum. Maybe there’s one out there that doesnt’t rehash the same moral/political debates americans (mostly) love to dwell over 24/7? Seems hard to find.

Ill stick to my pipe and books from now on as an escape.

Posted 6 months ago #
  38. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with Brad.

Mitch, if you're so upset, why announce yiur departure? Stick around and find other threads that interest you.

Posted 6 months ago #
  39. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mitch: We have our share of one issue members. If they bother you, moving on is probably a wise idea. Books, if you choose carefully so as not to inflame your sensibilities, are a safe alternative.

Posted 6 months ago #
  40. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They had no qualms in sending my ass to S Asia to get shot up, now tobbacos gonna kill me, never had a pack of cigs , cigars, or pipes shoot at me

Amen and thanks for your service.

Posted 6 months ago #
  41. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

In case anyone missed Dan's "avoid the lock" tip....

Al

Posted 6 months ago #
  42. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fixed it for you Al

Posted 6 months ago #
  43. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike wins the internets today!

Mitch, have you ever ordered from The Danish Pipe Shop? In addition to being a forum sponsor, and just really good folks all around, they have an exceptional selection of impossible-to-find-elsewhere pipes and tobaccos. You should check them out.

Posted 6 months ago #
  44. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike,

Posted 6 months ago #
  45. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess you could send them a weekly email to them. "Does the shop have any pipes, tobacco or accessories that you have recently lowered changed the price on? Please email me a list if you could be so kind. "

Posted 6 months ago #
  46. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have used them over the years, best damn customer service I say. Gentleman I cry a bucket of tears for you and your business.Hopefully my tears wont land on that electric rail.

Posted 6 months ago #
  47. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

.Hopefully my tears wont land on that electric rail.

Tears would be OK... just don't pee on it!

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 6 months ago #
  48. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

mikethompson is the winner!

Posted 6 months ago #
  49. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Redeemable at all S&H Green Stamps locations.

Posted 6 months ago #
  50. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just doing my part guys.

Posted 6 months ago #
  51. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

What was that about a duck?

Posted 6 months ago #
  52. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not interested in news letters but tobacco, now it started to look that Denmark has even stricter tobacco retailing business laws going into effect than in Sweden or Finland,which seems pretty ridiculous if we're taking into account the very fact that there are two biggest tobacco producing outfits in the world.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 6 months ago #
  53. wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Login to Send PM

I would love to buy from the Danish Pipe Shop, however, that thing about only shipping tobacco within Denmark presents a quite a problem.

Posted 6 months ago #
  54. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

which seems pretty ridiculous if we're taking into account the very fact that there are two biggest tobacco producing outfits in the world.

Not ridiculous at all: they're a landmark target! Like bombing the capital of an enemy nation when at war.

Posted 6 months ago #
  55. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Olkofri, I Gotcha,I presume this is their plan, to make an example for all tobacconists around in Denmark.

Posted 6 months ago #
  56. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not ridiculous at all: they're a landmark target! Like bombing the capital of an enemy nation when at war.

Exactly. Look at what the Anti Smoking Nazis did here in the States. Lexington, KY, in the heart of tobacco country, was one of the first targets. Aside from CA and a few others, the anti smoking laws in North Carolina are as bad or worse than anywhere.

Posted 6 months ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

We somehow need to fight the smoke nazis. This is a sad post to read.

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper