PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
No sooner than I promise myself no more pipes for at least a couple of months when I see this little gem advertised on the front page of PM from Smoking Pipes. Beautiful cherry stained grain, and a great sitter of a poker, which I've never owned, and of course it smokes great. But at $55, how could I pass it up? Will this disorder ever end?

img_0598-600x467.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
It's a Bjorne, somehow connected with the Johs line. I'm a little unclear if that means Johs produced it, or if the pipe was independently made by Bjorne. The stem has a curious symbol on it, not from any alphabet that I recognize. The details can be found here: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=132690

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I didn't know this was a freehand--how were you able to tell? BTW, it has a great draw and smokes great; the upright sitting position is an added plus because my desks often looks like snowstorms of paper and it sticks out above them! :D

Jan 8, 2013
Congrats on another great pipe :) You deserve it, so enjoy the heck out of it.
that being said, this is my 999th post soooooooo..... :wink:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the info about the pipe's logo. It's partially gone, so it looks even more like alien writing. I will need to find out about restoring these logos when possible later on.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Roth, the human encyclopedia on pipes and God knows what else, both are useful notes. I am still a little unclear as to the nature of what defines a freehand. I was under the impression that a freehand was any pipe created by a single individual, not a factory line item. You mention the Bjorne name is on factory pipes now: is the above pipe factory manufactured or by a single artisan?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
That's a good looking pipe!
Yeah, PAD and Tad can't really be controlled, just directed or refocused.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Bjarne pipes are factory made AFAIK.
A freehand pipe refers to its' shape ( not a traditional shape ).
An artisan pipe is one created by a single individual, from start to finish, usually in a small shop rather than mass-produced on an assembly line like factory pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.