PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
So, I've been searching the internet, including this forum, for a definition of the Danish Freehand style. I found a discussion here which unfortunately ended two years ago, and I can't figure out how to get to it while logged in.

Several opinions and points were included in the discussion, but I believe that some points were missed.

I bought my first of the type in the late '70s. It was a Ben Wade I saw an a local B&M shop. I saved for months to buy it (I was a college student at the time). I have loved this type of pipe ever since. Now I am beginning to carve my own, which prompted the internet search for images and definitions.

Of course, there is no standard definition as there are for other standard shapes. My search has led to some pictures of some very unusual pipes labeled as Danish Freehands. However, I have come up with a set of design elements which are often (but not always) featured in pipes of the genre. I would like to read others' comments and additions(?)

Probably the most often seen identifying design characteristic of the style is rough plateaux around the bowl rim and the stem mortise. (Yes, I know that this is not always the case) This element alone usually identifies a pipe as a Danish freehand. The bowl will generally have some variation of a roughly conical shape. The stem will usually be a "military" style (as opposed to flush fit). The shank will often have some sort of notch or indentation where it meets the bowl. I have seen many more "bents" than "straights". The carver will often shape to bring grain patterns to the fore, showing them to their best advantage. Other deviations from standard pipe shape might include features which enhance the way the pipe feels in the hand, or present lines or curves simply to please the eye.

I look forward to reading the observations of others on the subject...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Danish freehand use the grain to determine the shape of the pipe. Usually they do have unfinished plateau, and stylized military stems.
004-001-9393.jpg

img_20160828_2009032-337x600.jpg

$_1.JPG

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Though made by an American carver, this pipe's shape, the blowfish, was a Danish creation. As you can see, the grain dictated the shape.
Bruce Weaver fugu blowfish

687_9734blowfish5_1-600x462.jpg

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I have nothing to add on the theories but that is one cool pipe chasingembers!

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Chasingembers,
I have recently got very interested in he Danish influence as well. Wonderful exploration of shapes.
This is a great resource danish Pipe Makers
BTW, I just boughtmy first Ben Wade, a 1970's made Reflection, and am waiting for it's arrival.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Those plateau pipes always remember me of the magic of pipe smoking in the seventies. Just was lucky in winning a Karl Erik Ottendahl for a mere 10 Euros. Can´t wait.....

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The Danish shape, nautilus, has been on my list for a while, but so far have been well out of my price range. Also have been interested in the ramses.
NAUTILUS

300px-Bo_Nordh_Pipe03.jpg

RAMSES

300px-Bo_Nordh_Ramses01.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
The quintessential freehand is indeed a bent dubin-esque shaped pipe with plateau on the rim and a military mount stem, but as stated by others not limited to those as a rule. Personally, I don't consider freehand a shape. I consider freehand a style of carving, meaning the pipe was carved entirely or the majority of by hand, being shaped by hand on a sanding wheel, belt sander, or simply with hand tools such as a wood rasp and files, as opposed to a set shape worked on machines such as most factory made pipes. A factory made Peterson XL90 is a cookie cutter shape of every other XL90, for example. A Preben Holm dublin shaped freehand is always going to be different from another Preben Holm dublin shaped freehand. Personally, I have yet to acquire a Preben Holm (I want one sooooo bad!!! Haha!) But I have a few Nordings and the below two are very different from each other.
_57%203.jpg
[/url][/img]
20150620_194148.jpg
[/url][/img]
20150620_194306.jpg
[/url][/img]
Haha, I couldn't help but post the underside of the second pipe, I just think it looks so cool :lol:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I like the Danish freehands as well. I'll agree, they seem to be, for the most part, loosely based on the dublin shape.

I have four, two are bents, and the other two are "almost" straight. I love the sandblasted ones..........
Top to bottom:

1) Ben Wade

2) Preben Holm- notice the stem fitment on this one........... :D

3) marked- "I.S." or "S.I" hand made in Denmark.... I would love to who made this one.. its almost a chimney... :?:

4) Ben Wade 100
RSaggVX.jpg

kBn7u7D.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Number 3 is probably a I.I.S. pipe. I.I.S., Frasorteret, and Monte Verdi all came for Preben Holm's workshop for different lines and seconds. I love the sandblasts too!

Jan 8, 2013
Beefeater, the IIS is a Preben Holm second.
Anthony, those are gorgeous! 8O
Thanks, Duane! I got soooo lucy on both of those. The first one has an interesting stamping that I've not been able to find any information on. It has so much grain it's ridiculous! The second one is a grade 20. I almost want to call it a long shanked blowfish brandy hybrid?? I've never seen another Nording like it. Sending you a PM
Edit: Beefeater, Duane beat me to the punch on your IIS haha.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Beefeater, the IIS is a Preben Holm second

Ahhh, Thank You Anthony!

I LOVE the grain on that Nording too. I would never have guessed it was a Nording pipe!.... SWEET!
Edit: Beefeater, Duane beat me to the punch on your IIS haha
.. This Old "Britwood" guy learns something every day on this forum. HAHA!! You guys know your stuff.... I've had that pipe for 10+ years, and never could figure it out.... I always thought it was I.S........ as in a maker's initials... LOL!

Thanks again fellas......... :clap:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Duane-

Yep, I just looked w/ a loupe....... it is "IIS"...... Thank You. But who is IIS ?, or what does it stand for?

Thanks-

Not sure about it's meaning, but know where it came from. It may even be a grading. This pipe shown above is also a IIS.
004-001-9393.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.