PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msza

Lurker
Nov 7, 2014
Hello all!
I recently received a collection of about 15 pipes from my grandfather. I am making my way through the identification process, and may ask you fine folks to help on the ones I am stumped on.
But the one that has especially caught my interest is a meerschaum that belonged to my great-great grandfather. He was an officer in the Confederate army and died in the 1890s. The pipe was clearly well loved (in other words, it and its case are disgusting!!). It very well could be that it has not been cleaned/used in over a hundred years. It has a plain design, the only signifying mark on it appearing to be an elongated fancy 'x' on the bowl.
My understanding is that I can clean the bowl with a watered down alcohol solution. But I am a bit hesitant to smoke it. Are there dangers to doing so (like dormant TB or some other ghastly 19th century virus??)

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
That's amazing!

But don't ever use alcohol on a meerschaum pipe! It will turn it black when smoked, I have seen it happen several times.

That being said, I'm me expert on meerschaum, but there are guys on here who are. Hopefully they'll chime in.

It would be nice to see some pics of your collection, it sounds interesting!
Welcome to the forum by the way, and good luck!

Dan

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I, too, am no expert on Meers. A picture or 10 would be great though!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
But the one that has especially caught my interest is a meerschaum that belonged to my great-great grandfather. He was an officer in the Confederate army and died in the 1890s.
I think I speak for everyone when I say, Can we see a picture? Also, know where he served?

msza

Lurker
Nov 7, 2014
I actually took out the camera this morning, but it was out of batteries :( I will try to upload a couple pics after work. I am the least tech-savvy 30 year old you will ever meet. As I recall, the bowl has a hatch/grid pattern that is very worn.
But for now I can give you a pic with service history of the pipe owner! http://books.google.com/books?id=TWLWKaYCYwYC&pg=PA235&dq=%22joseph+william+mathews%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=FuZcVJOhE6e1sQSx4IBg&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22joseph%20william%20mathews%22&f=false
His brother was a postwar governor of West Virginia.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
msza:
Welcome aboard, Sir!
Unfortunately the link in your message above took me to a blank page.
It would appear that your great-great-grandfather, Joseph William Mathews, was a Captain in the Confederate States Army, and later served as an Assistant Adjutant General. Is this correct?

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
@msza - welcome to the site and thanks so much for the page on your ancestor; amazing! The man you need to speak to is a stalwart of PM.com - condorlover1. Simon has a huge collection of old meerschaums (they're all he smokes, I believe) and would be able to guide you every step of the way. Can't wait to see the pics.
Andy

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Congrats on you acquisition! Because it means a lot to you, you should also consider sending it out for professional work. There are several guys on here who could point you in that direction as well.
Welcome to the site, can't wait to see photos!!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thank you Andrew! He is indeed correct, I am the old fart who only smokes 100+ plain meerschaum 'cutty' pipes. Lets see a picture and see what you have. Please do not put any spirit based cleaners anywhere near the pipe and it would be useful to know what the stem is made from and if there are any markings in the case lining. I am off out to lunch with my chum Andre as it is Friday but feel free to post here and if I can offer my 2 cents worth I will be delighted to be of any assistance.

msza

Lurker
Nov 7, 2014
Thanks everyone for your help and greetings!
condorlover, if you look at voorhees's pipe in your (Show Off Your Antique Century Meerschaums) thread, mine is very similar to that, but in more of a 'Sherlock Holmes' shape. I think the patterning on the exterior is also the same. I was remembering a grid, but on seeing this one, I think it's the same, but with more wear. The case is definitely the exact type of case, with 'genuine meerschaum' and 'real amber' written in the same places. Mine is wayyy scuzzier.
At any rate, I will upload a photo this evening.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Welcome to the forums msza. I also am looking forward to the pics that you post.
As a military history nut, I thank you for sharing the page on your great-great grandfather. That is awesome that you have a piece of him with you today.
Cheers,
Dan

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Lets see a picture and please don't try and take it apart or anything just yet! As for diseases and bugs I think you will be OK so don't panic about that stuff.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I too smoke all of my very old meerschaums. Once you clean one, it is probably much cleaner than they will ever be again. You will be surprised what water and a soft rag will take off the surface with gentle rubbing. If it is really stubborn dirt you can use a mild soap solution. If you really need to, a soft bristle tooth brush can help loosen dirt. If you resort to the soap, use another soft damp cloth to wipe as you go. Be gentle, gentle, gentle.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
WP_20141107_015_zps33e3c80b.jpg

I would hardly call that in rough shape for it's age.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Your great great grandfather who fought for the Confederacy? I think I'd maintain that one as a family heirloom only.

With a world of fine smoking pipes, sometimes it's best to just let some items be historical treasures.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The stem definitely looks period. If I had just seen the bowl I wouldn't have guessed it was that old. Looks big too! Clean the bowl and shank first. Get the dirty stuff over with if you haven't already.

With the texture I'd definitely do the mild soap solution with a soft tooth brush. It will take away a lot of the dirt. Maybe all of it. And it won't affect the patina. Wipe the soapy water off with a damp cloth and pat it dry. It will darken as you get it wet. Then go back to it's normal color as it dries.

You can use stem polish on the stem. It will shine up nice. You're pretty much stuck with the toothmarks. You can't work a stem like that beyond cleaning it. Doesn't look too bad anyway. Nice case too. I'd be happy to own one like that.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Great looking pipe msza! Nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. In the debate as to whether to leave as a wonderful piece of history or to smoke as a link to your g-g-grandfather, I would clean and smoke the pipe with reverence, but that's your call.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.