PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Since we're spending 2 months in South Carolina I thought I'd check out the local B&M scene yesterday. So I wandered over to Towne Centre Tobacco & Wine in Mt. Pleasant (Charleston area). It's a very nice shop with a fine walk-in humidor and decent selection of pipes and tobacco. I bought a tin of Dunhill Aperitif and one I had not had- Dan's Holly's Non Plus Ultra.

When I got back to the house I looked up NPU on TR and noticed nothing but 1 start reviews with very disparaging comments. I though, "Uh-oh, this was a $10 mistake."

When I opened the tin I was greeted, or assaulted depending on your take of this kind of blend. with a distinct soapy/floral aroma. I also picked up some fruit in the nose. Hmmm, a Lakleand style blend? It is very much like Condor Long Cut to me nose.

The cut is described as ribbon but to me it is more like shredded flake. Not a bad thing as it packs pretty well.

The tobacco looks to be a good quality Virginia but make no mistake, it is all about the essence.

While Dan claims there is no casing the flavoring overwhelms the tobacco.

I can understand the 1 star ratings if they were done by folks not familiar with this style of blend. This call for an acquired taste and open mind. It is not your standard aromatic but is probably what passed for an aro in Europe 50 nor 60 years ago.

The after taste lingers for quite a while and even a good dose of 86 proof spirits did little to diminish it.

I smoked Non Plus Ultra in a cob because, have no doubt, this stuff will ghost a pipe.

I'll finish this tin over time but I'd only recommend it for the bravest of souls who want a bit of adventure in their life.
I2npaCK.jpg

Thanks for the warning. Dan's Tobaccos are all labelled as if they are trying to trick you into buying them. Liberty is labelled as a Pure Virginia, but it's really a cherry, fruity aromatic. Midnight Ride is labelled as an Oriental, with no mention of latakia in the list of contents, but it's full blown latakia blend. I just assume all of the other ones are lying to me on their labels also, ha ha.

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
Apparently from above and the reviews in tobaccoreviews.com, this is one of the Dan Tobacco blends that should be avoided. I do like some of their blends, such as "Treasures of Ireland, Shannon". But it could be because our daughter's name is Shannon and she likes the aroma.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I find it even more difficult to judge a tobacco by it´s description than choosing the right cigars (although I smoke cigars for years now). OTOH I think Dan Tobacco has a plethora of interesting and tempting tobaccos that makes me want to try them all! 8O Their manufactory is not that far from my home and I will surely visit them this spring.

Thanks for the interesting review! :clap:

Oct 12, 2014
How does this compare to Ennerdale? Is it floral in the G&H way? If so I'd probably love it :)
Or are we talking something completely different?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hmm. I got my first Dan tobaccos bulk from a B&M in Oregon. I got them in my time before sampling 1792 (first tobacco I hated) so I figured I would love whatever. Midnight Ride and Gordon Pym were just great, high quality tobaccos. I have now tried (loved) Devil's Holiday and Treasures of Ireland Limerick,with 2 tins of Hamborger Veermaster and 2 tins of Bill Bailey's Balkan aging a bit before I tackle them.
I would be curious to try this aro.
Sounds fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.