PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
This new blend is a Va/Per navy flake and looks right up my alley.
A link to the blend and an SP review are below.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/dan-tobacco/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=181211
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgMwVs5kZk0
Has anyone tried it yet? I tried to find threads on here discussing this blend but didn't see any.
Just ordered a couple to try, but I was curious if anyone has given it a go.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I bought a plug last September, and found it a bit immature. A bit bit baby gick yellow,if you will excuse my chocolate!So I jarred it and smoked it over the course of eight months or so, it did improve somewhat.

It resembles Irish plugs in that its dense and has fruit leather coffee notes, but I didn't get the Rum, perhaps due to my inexperienced palate,and I'd sooner have Warrior or PPP.

As I understand it's made by STG for Dan so this may indicate its provenance.

I hope this may be of assistance to you.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I ordered one. A rum enhanced VaPer, can't go wrong with that!
ok-wink.gif

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Prices are way out of line.

Salty Dogs (50g): $18.28 @SP.com; and $17.39 @P&C.com

Roper's Roundels (100g) aren't much better: $24.23 @SP.com; and $25.75 @P&C.com
At such prices, those blends would pretty much have to literally produce an orgasm for me. :lol:

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I picked it up at the local B&M a few days ago...just sliced into it today. It's a very good Navy blend, but yeah, those prices. Doubt I'll be buying it a lot.

I picked up some Ropers Roundels this afternoon at the B&M. I hesitate to critique it only after two bowls, but it's very similar to LBF. Just similar. I've been enjoying it, but I need to smoke more before I try to pin down the flavors and whether it's worth paying more than LBF. These companies just "seem" to be copying what works for other companies, rather than trying to come up with their own ideas.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"I was all for trying it until I saw the price"
Same here. Got the email, check out the offerings, some seemed interesting and then saw the Dog north of $18 for 50 grams. It had better be real real good at that price point.

May 31, 2012
I recently bought a pipe from DanPipe and being the pluggy nutter that I am I had to try this out so I threw a few pouches in the cart.
Non EU people subtract the 19%, so each pouch cost 7.98 euros. (around $8.79 USD)
http://www.danpipe.de/Neu-im-Shop/8476-50_Salty-Dogs-Plug-Tobacco-50g-Pouch_8007
I've smoked several bowls.
It is a good smoke, but I couldn't detect much rum, and at times it got overly ashy tasting, a very solid medium,

and the perique adds some interesting notes.
The price point now that it's available here is quite zany,

those are Velvan Plug prices!
I am glad to see another plug available though.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Odd that the price is doubled here. I wonder if this is set by the distributor or vendor. I believe you would break even at the third pouch and see a significant savings from there onward if you order directly from Dan. I'm kinda surprised spc has this listed under as aromatic it seems like the flavoring is mild.

Dec 24, 2012
Smoking a bowl of this now and it is delicious stuff. One very dense cube of tobacco. Now that Warrior Plug and Mick Mcquaid are leaving us, I have no doubt this (along with Revor plug) will have to fill the dense, dark plug vacuum in my rotation.

Dec 24, 2012
By the way, I do agree that I could not taste much rum. The odd hint of rum a few times, but that's it. So if you are a rum maven, then look elsewhere.

May 31, 2012
I wonder what quantity was brought in for the introduction?
It sure sold out quickly!
The rum taste seemed more prominent in the lower half of the bowl to me.
Overall quite enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.