PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I just lit up my first ever bowl of Old Ironsides, and I haven't been this excited about a blend since Nightcap. It's a flake, which I generally haven't liked, but in this case I have no choice. I love this blend. Thanks go to Harris, who mentioned it in a thread a month or so ago. I've been trying several C&D and Captain Earle's English blends and this beats them all. I'm seriously tempted to stop exploring and stock up on this along with Nightcap, Durbar, 965, Old London Mixture, BlackHouse, and Barling 1812 Tradition Full.
Of the C&D and Captain Earle's blends, I've smoked Byzantium, Private Stock, Stimulus Package, Pirate Kake, Da Vinci, Bow-Legged Bear, Nightwatch, Epiphany, Ten Russians, and Diamond Head.
What else in Latakia based blends should I give a chance that differs from everything I've mentioned?

May 31, 2012
GLPease Gaslight
"Deep, rich and full flavoured, Gaslight burns very slowly, delivering a lingering, satisfying smoke for the true connoisseur of Latakia based blends. The red virginias present a background of natural sweetness, whilst fine orientals provide just the right amount of spice. I like it best sliced thinly, rubbed out and packed loosely in smaller bowls for a satisfying, surprisingly long-lasting smoke."

Mar 1, 2014
After trying and loving Gaslight, I narrowed down my G.L. Pease Latakia blend acquisitions to: Quiet Nights, Meridian, Westminster, Charring Cross, and now I'm having second thoughts about Odyssey and Abingdon.
So that's like, half the blends he makes, but I get the sense that a lot of people prefer Quiet Nights for a "Full Latakia Blend" and Meridian for something with more complexity (but still firmly a Latakia blend).

That said, I've been reading so much good about plugs lately that I can't help but think we're not done praising Gaslight (and most of the Captain Earle's blends).

Mar 1, 2014
Ah, I just caught the "different from what you've already tried" part.
I'm pretty much at the same point and my next stop is the special Oriental blends. Such as Rattray's Red Rapparee, and the entire McClelland Grand Orientals line.

I haven't smoked those yet but the Orientals are usually a big player in any Latakia blend so it should be interesting.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So it's an Emglish flake? Tell us about the flavor profiles. I've never had it but do like Dan's Midnight Ride and Patriot Flake.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I'm incompetent at describing flavor profiles, I've decided. Right now, I'm smoking C&D Da Vinci, and they're similar, if that helps.

May 31, 2012
If you like the sweeter sort of Latakia mixture,

I'd suggest Sillem's London,

one of my faves.
Samuel Gawith's Commonwealth is another of my faves.
I'm only an occasional Lat smoker,

so my palate isn't exactly very expansive in that realm.
If you can find them,

give Esoterica Margate or Pembroke a try.
Old Ironsides is in my occasional rotation and I love it too,

I find it to be unique due to the smooth fullbodied strength and haven't quite had another Lat blend like it, but like I said, my experience is limited and I haven't sampled a broad enough range to really know what's what.
Alotta people mention Sillem's Commodore Flake in the same breath as OI,

I can't comment on that because I haven't cracked my tin of it yet.
The questing journey of finding those special blends that speak to you is always interesting and rewarding,

an aspect that always keeps pipesmoking so invigorating and enlightening.

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.