PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I opened a tin of Dan Tobacco Patriot Flake, and within a month it has mold growing on it. This is the first tobacco that has developed mold while in the jar. . Usually the mold is in a freshly opened tin. I threw it out, jar and tobacco. I'm not looking to the seller for a refund or anything. I smoked half the tin. I could have contaminated the tobacco, but I doubt it. Statistics are against it.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Before chucking any moldy tobacco , I would put it outside in sunlight , read somewhere this kills the mold.
Worth a shot just to see ..

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Not excessively wet, I prefer dry tobacco and it didn't take long for the Patriot flake to dry out. So no, not a lot of moisture. When I opened the tin I was suspicious about it. (Something tinkling around the cranium) The flakes had what I would call a plume look. Now those plumey spots are forming mold and there was a big hairy monster on one of the flakes. I opened the jar outside to inspect the flakes, but didn't touch the tobacco. I've had the tin opened for about two months I guess. Like I said above I've smoked quite a bit of this stuff and had about three or four flakes left. Yea, JP, I've not had much of a mold problem except the C&D Bijou scare. So I'm thinking this tin came infected. But who knows. Perhaps someone else has a tin of Patriot Flake doing the same thing, if so this thread is a life line. #MeToo :crying:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I can admit I am pretty cavalier about mold. Bread shows it; I cut off the parts with it and toast away. Cheese has extra moldy part, same, though I don't toast! I have thrown away a flake that was suspicious, and smoked the rest. Guess I am living on the wild side.
Aye, yours is a mystery, and as you said, it might never be known.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I got a tin jarred up from this last batch. I’ll keep an eye on it and see if anything develops. It hasn’t particularly wowed me so far, so I imagine it’s going to be untouched for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.