PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I have been smoking a lot of Ryback the past few days and it is a great tasting blend!

The Kentucky stands out with its spiciness (really flavorful). The Burley and Virginia components combine well to round everything out. Honestly, based on taste, this blend is on par with any Kentucky blend I have ever had for a lot cheaper price than most. However, as many have stated before, the only drawback for me is the cut. I personally don't care for the shag cut. It burns too fast and is a chore to keep from getting too hot. Yes, I have packed it tighter made effort to smoked slower etc. etc.

I wish D&R would make this blend in a course cut. If they would, I would buy a LOT more.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've become a fan of Daughters & Ryan's stuff. When I first opened the Ryback, I thought it smelled like bacon.
It's a nice "chewy" flavor without requiring a lot of thought or attention.
I believe it's the lack of noticeable casing that allows such a fast burn. I have 3 different D&R tobaccos and they all demand a reduced cadence and shorter puffs.
Take the bag into the bath room and leave it open while you have a steamy shower. About once a month, depending on your local humidity. Stir the oh so slightly moister top layer in a bit before re-closing the bag.
Consider yourself accomplished wen you can pull 30 minutes out of a medium bowl of D&R. If you should reach an hour, teach us, Master... :worship:
jay-roger.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I got the Ryback Gold. I'll eventually bring in a bag or straight Ryback.

I've got a mix burning right now of Windsail with Sigarro and a splash of C&D blending perique

D&R is a sleeper line, imho.

Ryback reminds me of Drum rolling tobacco, not in the exact flavors, but in the genre of the same leaf and the same type of sweetness added in the casing. I’ve enjoyed Drum in my pipe early in my pipe smoking, as well as some of the Stokkebye rolling tobaccos like Amsterdam. Ryback seems to me to be in that line or genre of tobaccos. I like the shag cut, and I just pack it a little tighter and tamp often. It packs a nice nic kick as well.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I actually like the shag cut for breaking in new pipes. I find it gives me a more even layer of carbon down the bowl, eve with pre-coated chambers.

I agree, the shag cut is like tinder but if you like quick smokes like I do once in awhile, it fits the bill.
Ryback is a favorite for this reason, but I’m also very partial to McConnell London Fine Cut. It’s a straight VA but has a subtle sweetness that compliments the leaf very well in that same fine shag cut.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
+1 on the McConnell London. It has great flavor and is a quick smoke.
My son rolled drum for a while and I always thought it smelled great but I never tried it in the pipe.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My roll your own brand for years was Drum.

The taxes got crazy and I saw prices double overnight, I quit, for years, for the third or 4th time.

Upon my inevitable return to smoking, I began to look for alternatives, which eventually, through trial, erro,r and fortunate inspiration that should maybe have occurred to me years ago, eliminate the paper! Try a pipe!
At the time I still inhaled, but it got me started and I found out more about what was involved and became a convert.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shag cut tastes a little thin on flavor to me, and does burn fast. I prefer other cuts that deliver a little more body, but maybe if I smoked shag more, I'd develop technique.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I would suggest that there's flavor in any presentation (ribbon, flake, cube, shag, etc.) and that it's incumbent upon the smoker to extract it, or, just burn the heck out of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do like Five Brothers, which is almost shag cut ( or is ). Tabac-Manil Semois' Petite Robin is shag cut, but it is also a blend rather than a single-leaf like the other cuts of it available, and I just happen to like the medium and thick cut single leaf much better. Petite Robin is tasty, but the other two, to me, are superb. Five Brothers is great, though quick burning, on its own, but as many have noted, it is a boost for many other blends when you're in that mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.