PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between Daughters and Ryan Ramback and Ramback Gold.
Ramback is listed on the tin as "Superior quality 100% Turkish tobaccos".
Ramback Gold is listed on the tin as "A superior blend of the finest quality flue-cured and turkish tobaccos"
Thank you all most kindly in advance.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
There product line can be a little confusing. I believe Ramback is 100% Turkish while Ramback Gold is Turkish Virginias.

Their product names drive me nuts. I not only have to remember some name like Rowland or Picayune, but then there is the denotation of whether it is a SJ, Platinum, Gold, Silver, or Blue. It reminds me of cigarette brand names, and is probably why many pipe smokers write them off as exclusively RYO.
They should rename their products something catchier, more memorable. I love their tobaccos, but I have to look at the tin if anyone asks me what I'm smoking, because I just can't remember it.

I've smoked several of their blends, and love them. They come extremely dry, and I had to adjust my thinking about how dry is too dry.
Rowland Platinum is robust and nic rich, and replaced the unscented Dark Flake as my end-of-day smoke in my rotation.

Rimboche S.J. (apparently, SJ stands for St James Perique) is a smooth, creamy, peppery VaPer. It didn't find a place in my rotation, but I may come back to it.

A few others I've tried, but I'd have to look at the cans to tell you which ones they are. Darn forgettable names...
I didn't think ANY of the ones that I tried would make very good RYO, and I came to pipes from RYO. They all are just too robust and strong. I may be wrong, but to inhale all of the ones that I've tried would rip my esophagus out. They'd be stronger than any cigarette currently on the market.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
The double toasted burley might be "Two Timer".
Here is the description: "An American pipe blend of air-cured Burley tobaccos, double toasted to enhance flavor, character and complexity."
But adding to my original question, they also offer a "Two Timer Gold" which has the same description as "Two Timer". Aargg!

Status
Not open for further replies.