PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I recently bought an old tin (copyright 1941) of London Dock from a local antique shop and the tobacco had aged considerably, yet still smokeable. I wasn't super impressed with it because it had a little to much lakeland essence for my liking, not sure if the older version had rum in it or not. I didn't have much experience with Lakeland blends up to this point and this got me curious about the D&R version and how it would taste, so I went on P&C and purchased a tin. The tin note was nice, I could smell the rum in it a lot better than the older version. I read the ingredients on P&C before I bought it and they listed coumarin as well as rum flavoring, orientals, Virginia's and burleys. I found it to start out as a pretty good smoke, I could taste the rum and orientals and yes, I could taste the coumarin as well, but not as strong as the older version. about halfway through the bowl, the coumarin started to annoy me as it began to come before the other flavors (not sure if it was me or the tobacco). At about the 3/4 point in the bowl, I was ready to be done with it and let it go out. I did notice that it gave me a nice little nic buzz, which I enjoyed and it burned really well with only 1 re-light I'm not ready to get rid of this tin just yet, but it might be a while before I get back to this one.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Nice review, I tried it and was not very impressed with it. I think you got through more bowl than I did. Thank the maker that I used a cob to try it. I played taps, gave it a salute and a Darth Vader burial in the fire place. Now the Milan version...Good Stuff.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I happen to have a tin of D and R London Dock open at the moment. I've forced myself to smoke 3-5 bowls of it, and I simply can't enjoy it.
The tobacco smells a little strange in the tin, and has a strange taste as well; must be the coumarin which I also find to overwhelm the other flavors.
I also don't have any experience with Lakelands, and the floral essence of this tobacco in the tin isn't all that attractive.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i might be wrong but i dont think london dock has lakeland in it - it might be the rum.

i smoked it back in the 60's dont remember any lakeland - milan makes a london dock - they might know of the contents of the old blend & tell of their own blend

london dock was big back then along with 3 nuns speaking of which 3n was better then - much better - all coins & no fill

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
London Dock pipe-tobacco was originally manufactured by the Christian Peper Tobacco Company, and the brand was purchased in 1952(together with five others) by The Bloch Brothers Tobacco Company of Wheeling, West Virginia.
The London Dock brand was subsequently purchased by John Middleton, Inc. of King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. In a blend list they described it as, "Teased cut plug. Tobaccos are Burley and Virginia. Rum flavored."

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I am normally a pretty big fan of rum blends, but the coumarin in this was too much for me. It didn't start out too bad, but it seemed like the coumarin was accumulating the farther down the bowl I smoked and eventually it was all I could taste. It also left a bit of an aftertaste that I didn't care for.

Status
Not open for further replies.