PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I'm not a happy camper. I chose to reset my one year old Dell laptop because it's response has slowed down. I chose the option that said all my files would be saved...BULLSHIT!! I had a ba-gillion favorites and PM threads saved that are gone. Now I guess I need to figure out if I can go back to before I did the reset. Anybody??

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I had the same problem a couple of years ago. I didn't toot around and packed the thing up and took it to a computer store that has an employee that had done great work for me in the past. He was able to recover the files. The service was not free, but worth every penny spent.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That's unfortunate. I hope you at least got the speed increase you were looking for.
If you use Chrome and are logged into your Google account all your favorites are saved on the cloud so you have access to them no matter what happens to your computer. It's been a godsend for me in the past.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Success!! I stumbled onto a page with a button for importing favorites...and it WORKED!! I got it all back. Wish I could say I'm good, but I'll settle for persistent. :laughat:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had a really bad experience buying directly from Dell some years ago and haven't bought from Dell since. I won't recite the whole miserable story, but several state attorney generals became involved and got customers repaid for services not rendered, after a couple of years.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
+1 on Chrome's ability to remember everything. Of course this could be its biggest downfall because it means that Google knows everything. :mrgreen:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've had my 'new' android phone, my first, for a few weeks, and just this morning figured out how to shut off a feature that was passively consuming something called MB data. Who knew? I sure didn't but I observed this particular measurement becoming depleted and had no idea why, or even, really what the heck it was.

I found the information on the internet via my second hand laptop that I've been using for about 2 years or so.

It's a Dell. My daughter's last undergrad computer.

So, since April, I've dumped my Century Link phone and it's DSL internet for a basic Xfinity internet only service, and had to replace my flip fone for the android due to upgrades the down graded my flipper.

It's all a pain in the ass most of the time, but the little victories help keep you plugging.

I've saved money on my monthly data bills so far, and my internet capabilities have improved by orders of magnitude.

Now to figure out this damned android.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Certain things I always make a back up of on my computer. On is the Favorites on my web browser - you have an option to export a copy and then you can place that on a thumb drive or an external drive.
Rule 1 - never trust a computer to keep your files, I too learned the hard way.
Thankfully you got them back!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
mcitinner1, I have just seen the thread. Did you manage to solve the problem? Do you still need to restore the old data?

Status
Not open for further replies.