PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a nasty chest/head cold. I'm staying down hoping to shake it soon. My wife had to reschedule a doctor's appointment, but we just didn't want this to fasten onto me, since I am the more mobile of the two of us. Pipe smoking is off the agenda until I'm well. The incongruous part is, I just had an especially healthy week. I used a Christmas gift card to spend an afternoon getting a massage and using spa facilities, really relaxing. The next day I went to the doctor's and got a generally good report -- nice to hear that some systems are "like a young person's." I figured I was golden for at least a week or ten days. Then this came on like gangbusters. Maybe I picked it up at one of my "health" stops, or maybe just at church or at the grocery. I have to go get some more water to wash down the pot of coffee, and maybe take some more cold meds. Good health to all!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I hope you feel better soon. Copious amounts of chicken soup should loosen the worst of it. Personally, I chew a small fresh clove of garlic to get the passages clearer by the next day. Fresh basil leaves are a good antibiotic as well. Drink plenty of fluids. (as if you didn't know) Hang in there. :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I am supposed to schedule a check up with my GP to 'keep me current', and I'm putting it off as long as I possibly can because this is not a good time to be in their offices.

Feel better fast Tom.

We're :puffy: pullin for ya!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Take care Tom. Seems I develop some sickness after a Dr visit often. I wonder how the Dr and Nurses stay heathy with all the "junk" floating around in there.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
If you can tolerate this:

8 oz hot water to which is added:

Hot sauce of choice to tolerance (mine is habanero, especially ghost pepper)

Molasses or honey 1-2 TBSP

Freshly grated or preserved ginger 1/8-1/4 tsp (just enough for that "ginger bite")

Garlic 1 clove pressed (or 1/4 tsp preserved)
Sip 1-2 TBSP's at a time as tolerated, & repeat just enough to feel the burn. Don't overdo it to the point of stomach upset.
These are immune stimulants & vasodilators which enhance blood flow to the upper respiratory system.
Also, inhaling heated humidified air, such as in a hot shower or steam room, or from a kettle or pot of boiling water, can reduce the duration of URI's. Most URI's are viral, not bacterial, so antibiotics are not only unnecessary, but can make things worse. Typically URI's take 10-18 days to return to baseline health.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you for the good cures. My wife made me a great lemon/sugar tea, not puckering sweet but good and sticky, really got behind the congested chest. Then she made me some chicken/kale soup which I dreaded, but which was really great, with a side of her cheese coins. And water, water, water.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
To bad your MD doesn't prescrib a good RX of Burley! You'd be set yesterday!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
MSO, I riding in the same damn canoe. Kids got it, I got it. No smoking going on at all. Good Luck.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Hang in there MSO-

My favorite remedy is: equal parts Honey/(fresh squeezed)Lemon Juice/Whiskey.

I usually use Wild Turkey 101..........

This will knock the hell out of that cold, and get you back on your feet...........It works! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.