PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2012
Mid-Atlantic, USA
This is a Britannia billiard that I bought new about a year and half ago. It has smoked well; however, there have always been some very minor imperfections in the pipe's finish. I overlooked any cosmetic issues until this morning when I noticed a curved chip on the surface of the lower bowl. Is anyone aware of issues with the longevity of the modern Britannia pipes? It wasn't the most expensive pipe, but I have really enjoy it, proverbial lumps and all. If this is my fault, and I am perfectly willing to concede that I am capable of inadvertently abusing pipes, I am at a loss as to how I did this. Overheating the bowl perhaps?

Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2012
Mid-Atlantic, USA
britannia-bowl-damage1-84x150.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Britannia bent Dublin with a twin-bore stem is several years old and has had no problems. It does appear that a fill has lightened on yours and maybe popped out. I don't know if the bowl is in the process of burning out a hole, or if it's just the fill. Do a thorough cleaning of the inside of the pipe without digging out any briar. If there is any sign of burning into the bowl, you might want to send it to a pipe repair person for a rescue. Or you can do a pipe mud patch and take your chances.

Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2012
Mid-Atlantic, USA
Thank you both for the idea that it could be a "fill" (I do not see any other evidence of a burnout in the bowl). This morning I read Russ Ouellette's 2012 article on the topic, "Pits, Fills, and Flaws", it provided some good background information on the topic.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Fills "pop out" over time, mostly from mechanical "stimulation".....basically knocking the wax or shellac off the surface of the pipe by buffing or dropping. If the area turns black and there's a corresponding area of charring inside the chamber, then you know that pipe is on its way out. They start tasting funny too if you smoke Virginias .....

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Fills usually are used to fix a surface flaw. It doesn't always indicate that the pipe will burn out. You can refill the flaw with a mixture of briar sanding dust and CA glue and then sand it down and re-stain. If you like the pipe it might be worth the effort. There are a number of posts by Dave in the repair section that are good guides if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.