PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewalrus21

Lurker
Jul 26, 2014
Those of you who are on our strong Instagram community, cannot have missed the fact that Jay Dagner, famous pipe smoker from youtube, has released a line of pipes. They are called "Dagner Pipes".
To those of you not familiar with them, here is a link to his Instagram account: http://instagram.com/dagnerpipes
These pipes will not be available till sometime this month, no exact date has been told.
So here is a place to debate them. Personally I love both the Pokers, and think that I might buy them both. The ones with brass rings will be available at 150$ and the ones without will be 100$. They will most likely be my writing pipes.
So what do you think?

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I really like that keg/barrel poker, and with the band it looks really sharp.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I wonder what Dagner's real pipe maker friends think of this venture? Case and Hackert?

The shape Dagner always likes and uses is the pipe he specified. Now he's basically a middle man.

I know, it's HIS design.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I'm not sure I'd like to smoke a pecker pipe. Besides you can already buy those at the meerschaum store...

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
If your going to stick something in your mouth, make sure it's a genuine Pecker. Accept no substitute.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I think they'll sell really great for the first couple of months just on his name and branding alone. But nobody will really know how they are until they've been through hundreds of bowls.
Anyone doubting him for having his pipes made by another company must feel the same way about Stanwell and their "Danish Design" despite being made in Italy.
Joe Case is still allowed to use the "Dagner" name in his slayer pipe. The Brown Dublin looks nice though.
Chris Morgan also started a line of factory made pipes with his name on it. They're cheaper though.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Putting one's name on a pipe as a promotion for profit is time honored practice. We all know this, or should.

We all place value on things for a variety of reasons.

In the matter of brand recognition I think we're sort of a herd to be corralled by marketers.

The Dagners have developed their recognition through social media and now want to capitalize on that 'popularity'.

I wish them good luck.

Maybe some day, your great great grandchild will be looking on ebay at first edition Dagner's filled with cake and with holes in their stems going for huge sums.

Did Alfred ever make a pipe himself?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
So wait... he is releasing pipes with his name on them... mass produced by another company?
Jayson Dagner got in touch with a well known pipe factory in Italy and he designed several pipe shapes and the factory is making the pipes per his specifications and measurements. No he's not making them personally, but he came up with the design. He wanted to create some pipes that were to his liking and style, but didn't want them to cost so much that the average/blue collar guy couldn't afford one. If I'm not mistaken the same factory making the Dagner Pipes is also the same factory that makes the Briar Cigar by Chris Morgan. They should be a very well made pipe at an affordable price.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Interesting. I dig the Dagner's and would love to shoot the shit with them and their crew, they seem like great people. Can't see myself buying one of these though, at least not until a while after they've been available to the public and have had a chance to be reviewed as a quality briar.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think the pipebabe is a fairly recent addition to the 'podcast'...in that the Dagners had already established an online presence without her.

All in all it seems a clownish affair. I've got better things to do.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It's like the Big Bang Theory, only Sheldon and Leonard are the dumb ones and Penny the annoyingly bright change of pace.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
@newbroom, I’m sorry, were there 3 people in that video? :lol:
Honestly though, I wish them all the luck in world, or at least the world wide web.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"The video certainly persuaded me! I won't say in which direction. Most of you guys know me well enough by now to guess correctly."
"I wasn't a fan of these guys to begin with. That video was the nail in the coffin though. No thanks."
Agreed! Reminds me of Cheech & Chong.

Status
Not open for further replies.