PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
This may sound crazy to some folks, but maybe not you guys.
My father passed 24 years ago, and one of the things I got of his was a pipe collection.

I am still not sure why I got it, as both my brothers smoked, but I never did, other than an occasional cigar or pipe.

After having the collection, it was only four pipes and a rack with a glass tobacco jar, in our living room for years. At some point it didn’t match the “décor” so it went to the barn along with a lot of other “stuff”. It was wrapped and in a plastic tote on a shelf.

Over the years I would run across it while looking for something else, as I recall there was still a few pouches of the tobacco he favored in the jar. I had not looked for it or seen it in years.

A few weeks ago I got the notion to give a pipe a go while squirrel hunting our dog in the woods near the house. And so I went to find dads collection. I found the rack and the jar, but the pipes where gone, and so too any traces of the tobacco. I am sure it was my youngest son and his friends that found them, but it would have been years ago, when he was a teenager. He has grown and left and spent a year in Iraq sense that would have happened. So that’s all water under the bridge, I might ask him about it next time he is in on leave.

Now I am not really grieving the loss of the collection, it was of no monetary value, and I had not even seen it in a decade or better. But I want to replace it as best I can. I remember where some of the stuff came from, the pipe rack and Jar where a Christmas gift I think from my mom, it would have been 1974 or 75 I guess. I also recall that he got a collection of flavored pipe tobaccos in little tins one year at Christmas and with it a bright orange pipe. I know he never liked or used the orange pipe!

That orange pipe was the only one I recall him not always having. I remember the other three pretty well. He never liked the orange one so I am not too worried about it. But after looking over the net at pictures and manufacturers (that’s how I found this forum) I believe at least two of the other three pipes where Dr. Garbow’s.

My father was not an extravagant man by any means, and everything he had he used. They seem to fit his budget and would have been available locally. The one that throws me a little was his favorite, it looked just like the “Golden Duke” from the Grabow web site, except it was totally black. Could they have made that model in black sometime over the years? Perhaps there was another “drug store” brand back then that might have looked the same?

I have picked up one of the other two that I am pretty sure about and the rack and jar will again have a use around the house. I don’t plan on smocking a lot of pipe, but it just seems like it needs to be done?
Crazy right?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I wonder if that bright orange pipe was one of those graphite lined, "The Pipe" things? The year is about right.
"The Pipe" etc
As for the pipe rack and tobacco container, you will see many examples of what you describe on eBay. They seem to go for thirty or forty dollars including shipping.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Not crazy at all! Its one of the main reasons I started smoking a pipe, memories of (for me) my Grandfathers smoking their pipes. Good luck to you and maybe search around on Ebay to possibly find something similar to what you remember of your Dad's pipes.
Oh ya, and welcome to the forums we love stories just like yours so good luck and don't be surprised if someone comes up with a possible match for your Dad's pipes.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
seagull:
Thanks for sharing these memories. They are precious.
Briar pipes do deepen in color over time. Is it possible that what you're remembering as a "black" pipe was actually just a very well-smoked dark briar? I know nothing about Dr. Grabows' history; as far as I know offering a different stain color would certainly be possible. It's also possible that it was another common drugstore brand -- say, a Medico.
If you're comparing your dad's collection with the current Grabow line, though, it may not be helpful. Shapes and stains can change dramatically over time. It would be better to find a historical Grabow site (if that's not what you're already checking) or seek out some Grabow experts here. (I'd post a separate thread that states in the Subject Line that you're looking for Grabow experts. They might well miss a post called "Dad's Pipes.")
Bob

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
My dad quit smoking long before I came along. I got into pipe smoking because I found his old Marxman in his sea chest and decided to try it out. I have been hooked every since.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know how exactly you want to replace your dad's pipes. The pipe stand with amber tobacco jar

is a classic, and you can get those with no problem. If you want to pick up a fine new Dr. Grabow -- it

may not be your dad's, but it will serve his memory well -- I'd recommend a Royalton bulldog. It's a

beautiful shape and a quality pipe, for about $35, and it will last a lifetime. My dad chain smoked Granger

in a series of pipes (mostly straight billiards). He'd burn his pipe out before he bought another, but I did

inherit his round pipe stand with the amber tobacco jar. Good luck. Be gentle with your son; he may be

able to recall where one or two of the pipes can be found. It's possible. Also, as we always do on Forums,

I recommend one or two Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes, and maybe one or two Old Dominion. Not

expensive, and probably much in the spirit of your dad.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Not crazy at all, and welcome to the forums! The pipe is a very relaxing and enjoyable pastime. Folks here, I'm sure will be very happy to answer any questions. Myself, I want to thank your son for his service and wish him Godspeed.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The one that throws me a little was his favorite, it looked just like the “Golden Duke” from the Grabow web site, except it was totally black. Could they have made that model in black sometime over the years? Perhaps there was another “drug store” brand back then that might have looked the same?
Grabow made four (IIRC) lines of pipes that were black, The Commodore and Sculptura were sandblasted pipes. The early Starfires and Berwycks were what Grabow guys call wire carved (it was done with a wire brush) they are mostly black but usually had some reddish or brown highlights produced by buffing. They were also available in a smooth version that was quite dark.

If your Dad had a Golden Duke it mostly likely would have looked nothing like those shown on the Grabow website.

The rustication was different as were the stain colors.

If your son did snatch those pipes I'd jerk him up and take a switch to his butt--even if he is grown and working for Uncle Sam !! :lol:

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Just to clarify, I have the pipe rack and the amber jar. Only the pipes where missing.

I have picked up a new Grand Duke that matches what I believe one of pipes to have been.
Tuold, those pipes in your attachment looked a lot like that old orange pipe!
Thanks for the encouragement.

Jan 8, 2013
Sorry to hear the originals are all gone, but replacing them in his memory and for your enjoyment is a grand quest. Not crazy at all. I think it's great :)

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Here's the only orange pipe from my collection..er...accumulation. Of course they came in numerous shapes.
thepipe_zps7a69d67d.jpg

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Sam, those look great. The black color looks right, it was rough cut on the outside, but a smaller bowl than any of those, I think. But they look very close. I will keep my eye out for those!
The fourth one down on the right side is close.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Great story seagull. I didn't take up pipe smoking as a result of finding my dad's or anybody else's pipes, but your story reminds me of when I was a young boy and would spend the night at my grandmother's house. My uncle, her youngest son, was away in the service, and I always loved to look around in his old room. One day I found a pipe of his either on top of or inside the top drawer of his dresser. I was really intriqued by it as I had never seen him with a pipe. But I always remembered how good the smell was even though it was just the smell of a used pipe. He's old now, lives in another state, and has Alzheimer's, and I've thought since I took up the pipes a few months ago that I would ask him if he still had that old pipe. I would love to smoke it in his honor. But, he has a grown son, and I'm not sure if I will ever ask about it. But your story reminded me of my experience. These are great memories, and most worthy of being retold. Thanks for sharing!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
samcoffeeman, where did you hit that mother lode of Dr. Grabows? They all look in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.