PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Greetings all,
I'm writing you from the smoke filled studios of my kind parents house. I have taken to smoking at my family's the last few days as it has been well below zero in South Dakota and my lovely wife only lets me smoke in the garage. My parents are both smokers and allow me to smoke in the relaxation of their home so I have taken them up on the offer.
I began smoking 15 years ago with my father as he would take me to the local B&M to enjoy a cigar with him. I continued to smoke cigars for many years before getting into pipes around 4 years ago so I have my father to thank for my love of the hobby.
As I was sitting in his office enjoying some Marble Kake he commented to me that he loved the smell and how he should get a pipe! Coincidentally, my family draws names every year for Christmas and this year I have drawn my father. What a perfect opportunity for me to get him his first pipe.
So the question is... What should I get him? A few days ago we were smoking at the B&M, I on my pipe and him on a cigar, and he commented how he liked the Peterson Dracula that was for sale. Odd choice for a 63 year old man but I think he was drawn to the black finish.
So if you were to buy your father his first pipe, what would it be? All opinions appreciated.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Great topic something which is certainly heartwarming also. I'd get my father a big bowled natural grained pipe with a more traditional curved fashion if he had shown an interest in pipes for two reasons. First being that he is a big guy, and big guys need big pipes. Thats a reason why I lean towards the big pipes myself, I like to make statements also, and big pipes make big statements. Secondly he is such a reactionary conservative that even as a new pipe smoker he would be a snob against the freehand and more interesting styles et cetera. So a design which the former Prince of Wales would have smoked in the 20s or a bigger version of a system which Rathbone would have smoked during the Sherlock Holmes movies.
I know this isn't very useful to you, but thats my father. :puffy:

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Stanwell Featherweight. A great pipe that wont break you, with quality that lets him have a great first smoke to lure him in the hobby. Just my 2cp!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
So is the Peterson Dracula out of the question? (I'm not familiar with that shape.) If it is, I'd just take a look at it and see what might have drawn him: color, shape, grain?
To me -- and I grew up in a family of nonsmokers, so I can't directly relate -- the pipe is the easy part of the equation. I'd be MUCH more worried about what his very first pipe tobacco should be! (And, yeah, you definitely need to set him up right at the start: pipe, tobacco, pipe cleaners, tamper.)
Of course, you don't want to go crazy; you have no idea if he'll take to it. But if you buy him a pipe you really like, then you at least might get a nice hand-me-down if he doesn't like it! :)
Bob

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I have been a pipe "shopper" for many years and I suggest going to Pipes and Cigars and order a CROWN pipe. They are around $50 and look terrific and smoke exceptionally well. Gave one to my brother in law last month and he cannot stop raving about the pipe. I own two, a straight biliard and a bent billiard and love them both.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
That is awesome. Both of my folks smoke nails; Only a year since I quit those and I can't stand the smell of their houses. I do get to smoke inside though... A good excuse for a nosewarmer with something delightful in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.