PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Dad's in the hospital. They're running tests and waiting to see how he responds to L-Dopa before they come up with a prognosis. Mom just called.
Anyway, the reason for the thread is this-there are, thus far, two things that have been proven to meaningfully reduce risk of developing this condition. Drinking coffee and smoking tobacco. As there is a hereditary linkage I plan to pick up my pipe as part of a health regimen. I would advise all of you to do likewise.
Next time the doctor/nurse asks you if you smoke tell them you're doing it for your health.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's an interesting prescription. Neurological disorders are among the most elusive and subtle to treat. I suspect researchers and medical people have some lively debates about diet and other habits to reduce susceptibility. If there are studies, they may be in animals or limited epidemiological (human statistics) studies. I can believe that relatively low doses of nicotine may have benefits, as might other tobacco constituents. I don't see the public health community jumping on the bandwagon soon or ever.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Unfortunately once you've been diagnosed with Parkinson's there is not much left in the way of treatment since 80% of your neurons in the substantia negra are non functioning. Smoking though is a great preventative method as it inhibits Monoamine Oxidase (MOA) which is what destroys the neurons. An alternative your dad can try if he is willing is to fast several times a week. Fasting will increase all 3 forms of autophagy. By removing the non functioning mis- folded proteins and cellular junk his neurons might start functioning like normal again. "old" people have 1/6th the rate of "young" people for autophagy.
Anatabine, one of the main alkoloids in tobacco (nornicotine and nicotine are some others) has shown the most promise in preventing PD. Maybe there is an anatabine supplement available?
Deprenyl/Eldepryl inhibits MOA so it could be used to prevent anymore damage from occurring.
Good Luck... and keep on puffin'

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
bigpond,

really sorry to hear about your dad. My mother-in-law-has it, got it when she was 80. My step-brother has it and got it in his mid-40's. He started a dance therapy group for people with Parkinson's. I am not surprised that tobacco has some medicinal properties.

Best wishes to you and your family.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Sorry to hear that.
Have you read Dr. Perlmutter's books? According to him and some people at the Mayo clinic there seems to be a connection between gluten and neurological issues like Parkinsons.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Very sorry to hear about your father, bigpond. I had heard that about tobacco, but I didn't realize coffee was also a likely preventative. I guess it is a good thing I consume both in moderation.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Well, there you go. The only glimmer of hope in this thread dashed. I shall continue sipping from my ineffective coffee mug in sadness.

There was a doctor in one of the early radioshows that had said that there were studies on nicotine use and Parkinsons, but we had a thread on this also, and the studies showed the dosages were very small, much smaller than a bowl full.

I hated to be the dasher of hopes. :oops: And, besides, maybe we all would be getting diseases much faster if we didn't smoke?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I know this may seem like an odd suggestion but there are a group of doctors having fantastic success treating parkinsons with thc. Not suggesting you break the law but I have seen some miraculous examples of success. Just a thought. And smoking is not required. He can take THC in capsule form. Sorry for butting in, just saw the thread at the top of the list. Best of luck.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My sympathies to your father and your family on his diagnosis. I pray you all find the strength, peace and vision to deal with difficulties to come.
Question: Did the Dr. actually recommend you smoke a pipe?

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Hope your dad works out OK. Isn't it funny how many of the "bad" things are actually good for you? A friend whose dad worked at the Mayo Clinic told me that butter is much better for you than margarine.
Think of it: butter is, well, from the cow.
Margarine is made out of plasticized fats and oils.
I was watching a show last night where they said that frequent masturbation helps reduce the risk of prostrate cancer!

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I'm very sorry to hear about your father.My mother had Parkinson's.I know the struggle.Your father will need much help in years to come.When I asked the doctor if I would get it because my mother did he said there is no evidence that is hereditary.In fact he said that doctors aren't sure why folks get it.They are pretty sure it's caused when some brain cells die.They don't know though why those cells die.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Bigpond, my father passed from ALS a few years ago and I feel your pain. I wish you the best possible days you can have.
On a lighter note, I am hoping my misspent youth will keep me from getting Glaucoma.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Bigpond, I'm very sorry to hear about your father. I have a friend with dementia who neither smoked nor drank. I hope you find some solace and comfort in your pipe, as I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.