PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
June 6th 1944. My time in the Corps pales in comparison to what these men did that day. My wife's grandfather landed in Normandy, France on Omaha Beach, he was a medic and had his work cut out for him. More than 9000 casualties on those beach heads. Fellow pipe smokers, I feel like as the years go by, the memory of this day fades more and more. Help people to remember what happened on this day.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My son had the honor of jumping with the d-day veteran paratroopers for their 50 year remembersnce, he was in England practicing HALO jumps and they asked him if he wanted to jump with the old timers, he said after the jump, they were marching thru StMaire-eglise people were throwing flowers at their feet, running up to them, hugging them kissing them I watched it onTV, felt sad for the ones that would never march, felt proud for my son, Mixed emotions, when we came ago back from

Nam it was a lot different, finally payback thru my son Tbradsim the old cajun

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
My great uncle is a WWII vetran. I love hearing him talk about his time there.Its like a history book come alive.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Considering I grew up on that side of the pond and spent my service time in the area of the Battle of the Bulge, one has a certain amount of respect for all those that sacrificed so much between June 1944 and May 1945 to liberate Europe.
If you ever get to visit the beaches, the US cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer, one realizes the sheer magnitude of the D-Day sacrifices. Here's a video of it.
http://bcove.me/u1nzrnn8
(Can't figure out how to imbed the actual video here.. so the link to it will have to do)

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
An old friend of mine in the 70's told me a story. I was just a kid, new to the Marine Corps, he was in his 60's. He was

one of the last few "Enlisted Pilots" in the Army. (Army Air Corps in the 40's). He was flying Boeing 707's for United Airlines and landed in Frankfort. He got turned around on the airfield and wasn't sure which taxi-way to turn on. He contacted

ground control and asked for directions.

Him: Ummm, do I take 22 left or this taxi-way on the right?

Control: Turn right on 93 right... Haven't you been to Frankfort before sir?

Him: I came to Frankfort many times in '44 and '45 to make 'deliveries', I just never landed here before!

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
[:worship:] America's The Allies Greatest Generation.
Fixed that for ya! More than a few relatives interred at Bény-sur-Mer from the Juno Beach landings and consiquential actions; but from what the few that made it back have told me, it really doesn't matter who's uniform you were wearing, if you landed on the hell that was any one of the five beach-heads, plied the death-trap that was the Channel, or scoured the flack-filled skys on D-Day, you deserve the ultimate respect.
Hats off and this bowls for you, gentlemen. I can never truly express my gratitude for your sacrifices.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Whoops.. Sorry for the Canadians here... and British and many other nationalities that sacrificed.
Beny-sur-Mer is the Canadian war cemetery in Normandy. To be fair, here's a video for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoV_CklCF8
Schmitzbitz: As a matter of fact, my hometown was liberated on September 4th by British and Canadian troops. Also, the very important river Schelde, leading into the harbor of Antwerp, was a critical point in establishing supply routes. It was liberated after a very hard battle by the Canadian 1st Army. There were many, many nationalities present on the beaches on that day now 68 years ago
I will now go smoke a bowl in honor of all those men.
Veteran_Colleville.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.