PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

22ti

Lurker
Mar 17, 2013
Hello all!
I'm a new pipe smoker and love the calm of it all. Recently I bought 3 new pipes all under 10$ a pop from a local generic store (not a tobacco store). They are all "D-brand" ebony pipes with numbering.

The main question I have as I can not find an answer using our friend google is what kind of pipe these are, what country they come from and what sort of wood they are made of. The guy at the store dosen't know. I have smoked all 3 and they smoke decent, one I really like. They do get considerably hot and they weigh more than a briar. My first pipe was a "Jean Claud" briar and I also have a mr.brog pear churchwarden. I love the mr.brog and have infact ordered 3 more of the pearwood churchwardens and one briar. I bought these pipes before the mr.brog for rotation purposes. This said I really need some help...
IMG_0087_zpsab641cf6.jpg

IMG_0090_zps6b4693b5.jpg

IMG_0089_zps11cdb477.jpg

IMG_0088_zps483d1a34.jpg

Thanks!

22ti

Lurker
Mar 17, 2013
I was leaning for a Chinese make but I do hope its not made out of rosewood considering the weight. :s

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
I have seen some D-brand pipes on ebay coming from HongKong. Not sure if they are made there or not, but I lean towards the yes. BTW are those Warhammer bits I see there? I think I can see a bolt pistol and a couple of purity seals!

mrd666

Lurker
Aug 26, 2014
I saw pictures of a few D-BRAND pipes (mostly on E-Bay).

Judging by what I see they are cheep mass-produced wooden pipes with filters. I doubt that they are hand made. 'Ebony' probably refers to stain color and not to the kind of wood.

Can't say anything about they smocking quality as some very inexpensive pipes are great smokers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you want to get a more dependably durable pipe, take a look at Pipesandcigars Stanwell Black Brushed pipes in a wide variety

of shapes for $49.95. Also, let us know how the "D" pipes smoke. They may be fine, but they look a little iffy on sourcing.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Apologies for the necro, but I just bought one of these. Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot, but that's the way things are - I wanted a straight pipe (I've quickly tired of the classic bent shape for some bizarre, unfathomable reason - maybe because I seem to see little else) and the price was right.
The description says it's made of ebony (presumably as is the OP's) which I understand is prone to cracking, but at least I could find no mention of the wood poisoning me, which I think is a plus). It has a good hefty weight to it, which combined with it's overall length makes it a difficult clencher - not a biggy as I don't think I'm a natural clencher anyway. I'd have liked the overall length of shank and stem to have been about half of what it is, but they didn't have such a model. Chamber hole is clean and central and it takes the Dr Plumb filters - this is my first pipe that doesn't use the horrible metal stinger.
I'll let you know how it smokes when I've tried it.
tumblr_pm7alvgB8H1w9drs0o1_500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.