PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
So, I'm at a loss to the real point of the spade in the Czech tool...it doesn't seem an effective reamer and the spike with a cork knocker gets excess ash out...what am I missing?

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I too use it to loosen dottle before before using the cork knocker. I also use it to gently scrape the inside of the bowl to remove any crusty lumps of crud. :puffy:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have tried other tampers and tools, but I always come back to my Czech tool. The tamper is not the best, but I have acclimated myself to it. I find the spade/scoop useful for working tobacco toward the ember when I need to revive a bowl partway through a smoke - sometimes a bowl just needs a little stirring. The spade/scoop is, of course, also good for getting out any stubborn dottle after a smoke. The pick is nice for perforating a dense ash layer choking the ember.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I'm with blueyedogre & ckgdrums, a pipe nail is all I need. I have a Czech tool, but I don't like the small tamper and haven't yet needed the pick feature. Since I only smoke outside and don't have access to a cork knocker, when I'm done smoking I use the spade end of my pipe nail to loosen the dottle/ash and knock it out against my knuckles.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have a GBD marked pipe tool from 40 years ago, and it's a beauty for tamping, scraping and once or twice, sticking! It was made in Japan.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I read somewhere that the Czech tool was originally marketed as an all-in-one tobacco user's tool. The tamper was for tamping pipes, the spike was for piercing cigar ends, and the spoon was for taking powdered snuff. FWIW.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
For me a pipe nail or a long golf tee are all I need, and prefer. I have two fancy wood handled pipe tools, but very seldom use them.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I too remember reading that the scoop was used for both the taking of nasal snuff as well as spooning it over the freshly packed bowl as a fire starter. I've used both ways in the past. Not a fan of starting my bowl but I love me some good English snuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm in the pipe nail school, or horseshoe nail school, and use the scoop to remove dottle and ash. I'm one of those who follows this by wiping out the bowl with a paper towel or paper napkin before using a pipe cleaner on the stem. Unlike the majority, I don't want to build much cake, just that thin carbon layer. I think it makes the pipes last longer, maintains the size of the bowl, and mostly eliminates the use of a reamer, which, except for renovating pipes with cake, can be pretty destructive in any but the most trained hands.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I think the scoop might be dual-purpose for snuff and removing dottle. If it were designed exclusively for snuff I think the bowl might be deeper and more rounded at the end. I've tried it for snuff and it works OK as long as you have a steady hand and don't miss the mark. You still can't beat pinching for snuff IMHO.

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
I use the spade to scoop the dottle, however whatever works. I wouldn't say there is only one correct way to use any tool. I tamp with the check tool, nails, golf tees, sticks and twigs, chicken bones, roundy type poke objects etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.