PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
From what I understand, most would handle flake or roll tobacco, using the cutting method, by slicing up what they are going to use for the next bowl. Leave it out to dry for 10-30 or so minutes, load and smoke.
For some reason, I just don't seem to have the time to do that. So,,,,,I have decided to cut it all up in advance and have it ready to smoke whenever I'm ready. Now first I tried this and put it all back into the tin, but it turned out that it dried out way to fast. So now after I cut it up I store it in mason jars.
Is this a good idea?
Thanks

Allan

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMO you lose some flexibility as regards preparation (rubbing out, folding, etc.); and, of course keeping the flakes intact makes for more compact storage. But you do gain in prep time if you always cut your flakes (which is among the better ways to smoke it.) For me, Mason jars trump every other kind of storage. I don't smoke ropes, but if I did I suppose I'd slice all of it into coins right away for convenience.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Exactly--as long as I am not losing any flavors, having the time at one sitting to cut it all works out better for me on a busy schedule
allan

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I cube cut a tin right away. It takes a little time but pays off later as it becomes more convenient.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Roth great to hear you fall on the side of storing/aging flake on its side, with the anaerobic bacteria basically eating away at the flake the structure will start to fall apart. This of course refers to long term 5 and 10 year plus jarring. I’d like to see my beautiful flakes, though a bit ragged in nice straight pieces, not a sagging mass.
Taking and pre-cutting that perfect flake. When you take that quality time to yet again try to create a perfect plate of cubes, waiting a small amount of time – You can probably think of something to do like read the forums. This is going to give you the top flavor possible if you’ve stored them correctly. Now if you stick these pre-cuts in a mason jar, you’re exposing them to as much oxygen as if you left them on the plate. This will lead to them drying past that point of perfection towards the area of stale. Now this of course is small, but the longer you wait, the further from the best it can be is becoming lost.
Craig

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Well Roth I just conferred with the perfect hour dried FVF cubes as they were being tapped into the bowl and they all agree that they’re far better than a rehydrated or roughly stored cube. So I slid the little bit of powder on top, after the true light, I’m going to side with them. ;)
Actually I could never see myself cutting up any of my perfect flakes to store. I want each at their peak and their brothers who are getting older even more.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Allan, just keep a good eye on the jar to make sure your tobacco is not drying out. If you find it is drying too quickly, you may want to try using a bail top jar. I have SG Flakes I am smoking that I store this way and they stay fresh for ever. I do not know how mason jars are for keeping tobacco fresh when continually opening them.

Status
Not open for further replies.