Cuttin' A Button. Key To Great Finds On Auctions?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I do a fair amount of pipe refurbishing. I also do a fair amount of online auction site buying. I have seen over and over again pipes go for a much lower price based on what appears to me one main problem, stem problems. I have also bought lots with few pictures only to end up with a number of chewed or broken stems on otherwise decent pipes.

Lately I have taken to buying them any way because I know I have the experiance and skill I guess to re-cut a button.
I have gained this from reading the Pipes Reborn blog, which I never shut up about. Also just hacking a few crapper stems to death. Generally I do the following:
1. Assess the damage, obviously. If it is a hole I try to patch it with black super glue as is covered elsewhere on this site. If not and it needs a stem recut.

2. I cut the stem back with a needle file behind the damage, assuming it still leave a workable amount of stem. I would say usually 1/2 inch is cut off.

3. Then with needle files, I cut lines onto both side of the stem after assessing the thickness. This is where the new part of the button that faces the stem will be. I would say bout a 1/4 of an inch form the newly cut end of the stem. I then begin removing material, a slow and careful process.

4. Once I am the rough recutting is done, out comes the sand paper. I work down from 150 or 300 grit down to a 1000 or so. I also have to keep the shape of the stem in mind. Often when I cut the end of the stem off it changes the profile enough that I need to account for it in reshaping. For an example an author shape. The flowing lines are affected and the button may look like if I were to grasp a piece of paper between my thumb and index finger. A really overly round stem that terminates in a very thin button. I usually have to go back and remove material as to make the profile similar to what it was intially.

5. It ends with micromeshing the whole shebang to a shine.

I will try to get some pictures of this done as well.
But getting back on topic a bit, Does anyone else here do this?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I had pipes that I didn't enjoy smoking, and I really couldn't understand why. One day it dawned on me that my dissatisfaction

was not with the pipe's performance, but with the feel of the button. I noticed that my most comfortable pipes had thin buttons

-- typically Italian. When I reduced and re-shaped the buttons of my least popular pipes I rediscovered them, so to speak.

Now, not a pipe in my rack gets neglected. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.