PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
Royal Yacht... burns quick and tastes "meh"... but it is strong. Decided today to mix it with some aros, and wallah! The result is a strong aro that tastes okay, but not great. I smoke mostly non-aros, but decided to chip away at a few. Anybody else use strong blends like R.Y to add oomph to ancient aros sitting on your shelf?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've never found RY to be a very strong tobacco, and being slightly aromatic, I've never blended it with another. I do add Stokkebye's Dark Fired to some aros to give them more body though.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I’ve done similar with some bulk blends from the local store here. Never tried mixing royal yacht with anything, seems kind of sacreligious lol.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Mixing tobaccos can be a hit or miss, but when there are blends that I no longer find enjoyable in their unadulterated form, it is worth a try!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Often mixing with opposing flavors works well. Smokey with spicy, bitter with sweet, etc.

RY doesn’t make a good mixer, IMO. Unless you are just wanting to dump the RY into something to make it more palatable, I can suggest a couple of better blenders to umph up an aromatic. Peter Stokkebye’s Dark Fired as Duane suggests is great, especially with an orange or mango aromatic. Robert McConnels Pure Caribe or a Madura is a good one for vanillas, IMO, and, Five Brothers will kick anything up a few notches.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Interesting, I will have to try some of those combinations you all mentioned!

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
Anybody have any ideas what i can do with Sutlif Chocolate Mouse? I have been trying so hard not to chuck it out. Im sitting on 8 oz of it, and thinking maybe

cutting it with a Burley? Im open to all ideas.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Using RY as a base, try mixing it with a bit of Turkish Izmir and some Latakia. A little unsweetened Black Cavendish might be good as well. The combinations are up to personal taste.
The results can be surprising.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
RY is an aromatic. The flavoring is often debated, but I think it is fruit, maybe plum. I would think using it to mix with other aromatics could be tricky, but if you do it in limited quantities, a bowl or three at a time, you might hit on some that are quite good. I don't get the big nic hit from RY, but I think that varies from blend to blend, and one person to another.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
I have not enjoyed my one tin of RY very much so I mixed it with a pouch of rubbed out Drexel. Have enjoyed that immensely.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I like my RY as is ... I do use Forte or SG brown no 4 quite often as a mixing ingredient for aromatics though.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Royal Yacht deserves Mixture 79, it will become the mother of all mixtures. :D
I actually like Mixture 79 better. Couldn't finish one tin of RY, but have gone through a few pounds of 79.

Status
Not open for further replies.