PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixrounds

Lurker
Nov 2, 2015
Hi all of you who happened to stumble on this first post of mine!
I have not been a pipe smoker for long - maybe a year or so - but have already managed to get hooked on corn cobs, mainly thanks to a YouTube user called Hilman and his videos.
My first custom pipe
Half a year ago, when I was in touch with Missouri Meerschaum asking for a non-filtered Diplomat, I learned that they make custom pipes. Inspired by the Stanwell Featherweight no 245, I decided to draw a sketch of a poker style Diplomat in the 5th Ave. bowl shape:
The%20Sea%20Dog.JPG

I sent an e-mail to Marilyn, describing that I was looking for a darkly stained, straight stemmed, 5th Ave Diplomat with tilted bottom. She responded a few days later that she had showed it to her General Manager (Phil Morgan, I believe) who had given the project the green light. Happy to hear this, I told her I wanted to place an order.
Own customizations
When the pipe arrived it had the basic light, wooden stem with the kernel pattern they use on most of their pipe stems. Since it was quite a big contrast between the light stem and the dark bowl, I did the same thing I had done to my Country Gentleman: I grabbed a ProMarker (Cool Grey #4) and painted the whole stem dark. I also painted the bottom of the bowl (after I had sanded it a bit to make the pipe more steady when standing):
Bottom.JPG

This made everything match better to the colour of the corn cob itself and my pipe kept this configuration for several months, until yesterday night, when I just could not fall to sleep.
In the middle of the night I suddenly realized I had to do a final customization: The stem needed a better matching corn cob pattern! I got up, took a regular, thin pointed marker pen and started drawing. The bowl's pattern is very different on the right side compared the left, as you soon will see, and I wanted this to be seen on the stem too. I did my best cob doodling and after a while it looked like this from the right:
Right.JPG

...and like this from the left:
Left.JPG

The difference on the pattern on the sides are, indeed, quite visible!
Ofcourse, there has to be a transitional area, which would be the back of the bowl:
Back.JPG

With some doodling the stem ended up looking like this:
BackStem.JPG

Eventhough the pattern is far from a professional customization, and eventhough it might make some of you cry out: "What have you done!!? My eyes! My eyes!", I am happy with it. It makes the whole pipe more complete I think. Those of you who have very colour sensitive eyes will notice a hint of blue - the first marker pen I used looked black but turned out to be very dark blue. I tried to fix this today with a completely black pen. It is good enough, I guess! Loyal MM customers will also notice one thing is missing: The MM stamp at the bottom. It is a pitty they left it out on this pipe, but on the other hand I would not have been able to sand the bottom: It is much more stable now.
Oh, yes: As you probably have noticed, I also dipped the straight bit into boiling hot water and gave it a slight bend!
Have any thoughts, questions or opinions? Just let me know! Meanwhile the pipe will be resting on my smoking table:
SmokingTable.JPG

Cheers!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I like it. Needs a St. Christopher medal around the stem, but otherwise, a complete and lovely pipe.

sixrounds

Lurker
Nov 2, 2015
I am glad to see all your positive responses - thank you for welcoming me to the forum!
I like it. Needs a St. Christopher medal around the stem, but otherwise, a complete and lovely pipe.

That would have given it a nice touch, had it been a CHURCHwarden! (Got to love Sunday afternoon humour...)
Very nice. Puts my homemade cobwarden to shame

I doubt that but thanks :D!
great post/thread btw

From the pictures to the content/story, most interesting.

Thank you! Even though I had not taken before-after pictures I wanted to give you that "extreme home makeover project" kind of feel :P
Speaking of before-after: I took a picture of this pipe's shank (sorry for calling it a stem; confused) side by side with two other pipes that show pretty much the whole evolution of the shank:
[https://sites.google.com/site/halvkoreanen/home/Evolution of Shank.JPG]
Thanks again to all of you for the warm welcome!

sixrounds

Lurker
Nov 2, 2015
...and once again I manage to mix up "URL" and "IMG" and for some reason I cannot edit my post after a certain amount of time. Oh well:
Evolution%20of%20Shank.JPG

sixrounds

Lurker
Nov 2, 2015
Are those MM factory stems??
Well, the stems or bits are. They are the Danish bits (it comes as standard on e.g. the diplomat) - I like them more than the normal bits.
The only wooden shank that is of factory standard is the one in the front. The next pipe is my Country Gentleman, which I darkened the shank on with a ProMarker. And the last one is, ofcourse, the one I drew the cob pattern on.

sixrounds

Lurker
Nov 2, 2015
Those are all beautiful cobs...I'm also fascinated by the table/platter they are resting on...
Thanks; I'm glad you also like the table! A friend showed it to me and told me I needed to get it as a smoking table and I'm glad I did :)

Status
Not open for further replies.