PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've been looking to add a Custombuilt pipe to my collection for a long time. Unfortunately, a lot of other people have the same idea and I've been unable to snag one for a sum within my budget. Forum member snagstangl kindly offered to trade a pipe from his collection that if not stamped "Custombuilt" certainly fits the bill as far as I'm concerned.
I was just out in the pipe room enjoying a bowl of Sutliff Blend No. 5 mixture with it this evening. I really like the relatively small form of this pipe that is still very comfortable to hold or clench. It was a very satisfying 45 minute smoke with the tobacco burning evenly all the way to the bottom of the bowl.
IMG_20150131_163336_791_zps36028432.jpg

custombilt_zps82c1e62f.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That sure looks like the Mstercraft style. they made pipes for many B&M's so it could have been a store pipe. Regardless, it's a neat little pipe and it's good to her that you're enjoying it. Happy Smoke Rings.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Im glad you are enjoying it. But I am 98% sure that it is a Custombilt that never got stamped the stamp is worn off. I am not an expert but I have 40 to 60 others in my collection so I am am familiar with the rustication pattern. Most of them I have smoke very well.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice Score! I bought one almost identical to that about a month ago. Its stamped Pickwick Arms. I thought it was a Sasieni second at first, but its a Custom bilt. Its a great little nose warmer. Blend #5 is outstanding. I received some for Christmas and I cant get enough of it. I've went through four tins. Congrats.
Here's mine
uUCDzvR.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have a Tom Howard similar to that, big bowl,short,good smoker, yours is really spiffy.
Beat me to it. Tom Howard and a couple of other labels look almost exactly like Custombilts -- probably because they were so popular. Not that long ago, you could get Custombilts for a song, but for whatever reason they're very popular right now. I don't remember the last time I saw one sell for less than $50, but for a long while they rarely sold for more than $50.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Quite a few company's imitated the Custombilt look. I had no idea CB's have become a bit popular. I cut my pipe teeth on them back in 2008 when I crossed over from cigars because they were very inexpensive estates... even C-B's. Interesting, never thought I would see it.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
" I don't remember the last time I saw one sell for less than $50, but for a long while they rarely sold for more than $50."
I agree, it is crazy. Lots of "ordinary" Custombilts have been around 50 bucks. I remember a few years ago when I saw them jump up to 30$ on average. I have stopped putting them on my watch list because I just know they are going to go high. I have paid that much for a few of mine but it was for rare examples like ones with animals carved on them. I recently paid $33 for one that supposedly said made in canada but with no clear pictures. I gambled and got lucky. I haven't seen anything on them recently on forums so I don't know why the sudden uptick in prices.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I am so glad you like Larry's Blend. I am very happy with my pipe! It'll be with me 'till the end. And then it goes to whichever pipe smoking son treated me the best. :lol:

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I am one of those unlucky souls who collects vintage American pipes, and of course Custom-bilts are my faves...used to be able to score them for 20...now for the snubs and snorkers you're looking at 70-100 for Mincer era :(
Anywho, Your pipe looks a lot like a Tom Howard I used to have. Could be a JB Jum too...if it is you're a lucky man. They're getting harder and harder to find...

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
That's a cool looking pipe. Sure looks like a Custombilt but if its not there's a good possibility it could be a Jum. A lot of the Custombilts and Jums have very similar rustication. Though there were a few other brands that made pipes for B&M shops with similar rustication as well. Anyway you want to look at it; you got a nice looking pipe made of quality briar and made in a time in America were a lot more pride went into making things such as this. Not saying people don't take pride in there work these days, but back then things just seemed to be made better, with better quality materials and more care.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I wonder if the price increase has anything to do with the custombilt book by the late BillUnger.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I wondered about that, there was also an article in the NASPC article by dave whitney that talked a decent amount about them. But the book came out a while ago, and Bill passed away 2 years ago so I feel like that doesn't explain the price either.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've been searching ebay since this original post and finally may have gotten something on the hook. I haven't received the pipe yet, but it's stamped "Moore Mark". From the couple of references seen on the Web, there may be some connection to Tracy Mincer or Custombilt pipes. Maybe somebody knows more? I'm sure I'll enjoy it none the less.
moore%20mark_zpsyoo1okaw.png

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I think I recognize the sellers pipe stand and photo's. If it's who I think it is, I hope you didn't mortgage your house to buy it. His starting bids are outrageous. Congrats on your score. I like the Custombilt style and that one looks like it'll clean up nicely. Good luck on the info hunt.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It wasn't expensive. $10.50. My max on any estate is twenty bucks. I don't win many auctions but it keeps my expenses down and my losses tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.