PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

humphreh

Lurker
Apr 20, 2018
I'm new to the forums, so I do apologize if this isn't where this belongs. I heard tell on the internet from one or two sources that peterson will make custom pipes. In particular I saw a post on another pipe forum where a guy was showing off his new custom peterson 999 (if I recall correctly) with a silver cap. Is that true, or is there a Peterson "custom" line? If I can order custom, where do I place an order? Thanks in advance!

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
That has been discussed in a roundabout way here. I picked up a silver cap windscreen pipe. Replies to my post were they were only custom order now. I would assume you just contact Peterson to order...

humphreh

Lurker
Apr 20, 2018
Ah, I see the post @rx2man. Thanks for the swift reply. I'll try contacting them about it, I'd just like to know what I could expect to pay first so I don't waste their time with a non-serious inquiry.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Well based on my price used of $265 I am guessing $450-$500 or so. Which is why I stalked SP for the last few yrs to grab a estate...

humphreh

Lurker
Apr 20, 2018
That doesn't sound too terrible! Thanks for your input. I'll give it some consideration, and be sure to post some sweet pics if I decide to go ahead. 8)

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Oh and welcome to the forums and yes we need pics or it did not happen lol

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Oh and welcome to the forums and yes we need pics or it did not happen lol

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
If you are talking about the ‘hindged lid’ peterson pipes, they no longer make them at all. Not even special orders. I was told, by Glen Whalen at Peterson, that the company that made the Silver lids no longer makes them. As for silver capped, they still make those. Silver capped are the ones with a silver rim around the bowl.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
IMG_0497.JPG

This is a hinged lid.....
298-900x900.jpg

This is a silver capped.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
unkleyoda, I polished up the silver on my 81x with lid yesterday. Have had it for more than 10 years, bought in the Dublin shop- Maybe it is time to smoke it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never commissioned a pipe, but at that price level, I'd shop a number of select artisan carvers to see if the Peterson is what you want for the money. I have six (I think) Petersons, all low or mid- range priced, and I've never been disappointed. Just saying, at that price point, you have some options.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Get your pipe of choice, find a good silversmith and you've got a hinged wind cap. I have a couple of Pete's with hinged caps. As Peterson no longer has them made, if I want another one, it's what I'll have to do. My only caution is do it when silver is cheap or the smithy has some cheap silver on hand. Don't do it at the top of the market.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
unkleyoda, I polished up the silver on my 81x with lid yesterday. Have had it for more than 10 years, bought in the Dublin shop- Maybe it is time to smoke it.
I would!
I have 4 Peterson hinged lid pipes. 2 are 106 (straight billiard), a 68 and a 69. I bought all of them on the used market. My grail is a Peterson hinged lid 408.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Welcome to the forum!

Perhaps one of the new line, "Antique Nickel Wind Cap" pipes will close the gap.

https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/2018/04/18/87-the-antique-nickel-wind-caps/

witchofthehollow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2018
I also had no idea peterson would make customs. That silver capped pete is a handsome one for sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.