PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I was looking to make a few drill bits, basically a spade bit ground down, and wondered if there were common sizes to use and if any templates online?
If not, I went to school for design, so, was going to use Illustrator to make a PDF of the common sizes/shapes. That way people could print it out, cut the shape out, glue to a spade bit and grind down to the paper, that way it's a bit easier to get the shape right and sides even.
Not sure if that would be a useful resource for people on here or not...?
This site shows 3 shapes... well first 2 are basically the same I guess. Just wondered if there was a way to determine the curve properly since they aren't perfectly round.
Size wise, pipemakers.org sells spoon bits, bit too pricey for my budget which is why I'm grinding my own, and seems 11/16", 3/4", 13/16" and 7/8" are what they have. Pimo has the spade bits 3/4", 7/8" and 1".
Measuring my Castleford reamers with a micrometer, not really getting the same results. .635", .713", .8" and .867" (which I guess is about 5/8, 3/4, 13/16, and 7/8... but off by a bit).
Would these be considered 'standard' sizes? using what pipemaker.org has seems the way to go.
My goal is to maybe make a few pipes for myself, as well, use the bits in estate pipes that are in really bad shape. I have a couple where the reaming just mangled the inside of the bowl... only way I can see fixing would be to go up a step and trim the top down. Plus again, if having a pdf on here helps people I'd post it for use as well.

Reactions: Salvaje

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I always used 3/4 inch for my spade bits. I have lately become friendly with Pot shaped pipes so probably 13/16 if I were going to start making pipes again.
Mike S.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
use the bits in estate pipes that are in really bad shape.
Trying to go back in and redrill an existing tobacco chamber with a ground down spade bit is a great way to hurt yourself. There are some pros that have done this, but they are typically using spoon bits.
Actually grinding down a spade bit for a tobacco chamber is easy- I just draw the profile directly on the bit with a Sharpie and start grinding. Once you get close, lay the bit on a piece of paper, trace around it, and flop it over- that will show you if the shape is symmetrical. If it's not, grind some more... I have chamber bits in 5/8, 3/4, 13/16, and 7/8, some tapered, some round.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Ya... worried the pipe will fly apart, but, as it is now it's a pretty big mess. Saw a post on rebornpipes where it was a similar case where they chopped 1/4" off the top because if a crack. In my case the insides are all hacked as well. Figured may as well try. I'll wear gloves and a face mask. :D
Spade wise, I was going to do the shape on the computer so I know it's accurate, xacto it out of a piece of paper, glue it on with something strong enough to keep is there when grinding but can be scrapped off when done. That way I know the shape is how I want, and it's symmetrical.

Jun 4, 2014
I'd make a tapered wooden form that I could wrap with sandpaper and then use various grits to clean up the inside of the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.