PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
One of my daughters mentioned that an ad for Tommy Hilfiger in the current (May 2013) issue of Vanity Fair has a man holding a pipe.
Sure enough, on page 47 they show a guy holding a nice sized smooth pipe with a saddle bit.

You can't see much of the pipe as he's holding the bowl in his hand, but it looks like a nice pipe from what you can see.
This the first ad I've seen in quite a while with a pipe in it.
I didn't find anything indicating Hilfiger is a pipe smoker himself.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Not that its a bastion of quality programming, but on a commercial for American Hoggers the dad is smoking a pipe in the season opener. My daughter saw the commercial with me and rolled her eyes when she saw the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Saw the ad in Vanity Fair, very favorable for the pipe guy, I will say. Just saw a re-run of "How Green Is My Valley" on

Turner Classics Network; now that is a pipe smoking movie. If it comes around again, be sure to have a pipe at hand,

or you'll have to get up and pack one. John Wayne and the erstwhile villain have one of the longer fights in movie

history, which is bloodless and bruiseless though barefisted. Ah, Hollywood.

Aug 14, 2012
Anyone old enough to remember the Playboy centerfields from the 1950s? There was a pipe in the corner of each of them. This was before Hefner affected a pipe to conceal his discomfort on their awful tv show. The photographer was a smoker.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Anyone old enough to remember the Playboy centerfields from the 1950s? There was a pipe in the corner of each of them
Whenever I snuck a peek at dad's Playboys I guess I didn't pay attention to the pipe. :)

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
The pipe in the Playboy centerfolds was supposed to be Hef's of course. :wink:
@ mso489: The movie you described is not HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY, but John Ford's THE QUIET MAN. (Ford was a pipe smoker too! :puffy: )

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
Little before more time

dd8609d2a015c6a5176d12c5b5eabf5d_zps7233a943.jpg
[/URL]

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that cover is a fake. It has an issue date of June 1938. The first of issue of Playboy was published in 1953. :puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jimbo, you are so right about the John Wayne movie, "The Quiet Man," not "How Green Was My Valley." They shared rural settings, but that's all. Thanks.
And, foggymountain, Yes!!! Hefner's TV show was incredibly bad. It was supposed to be an ultra-cool party in a supper suave pad (which was a rather cramped

TV studio to be sure, whether it was put together in "The Mansion" or at the station). He did have some stellar talent from time to time, like Dave Brubeck

and Sammy Davis Junior (if I can remember back that far). But the pretend audience of "cool cats" was too stilted and ridiculous to be endured. They

made Lawrence Welk and his authoritarian big band show look like a motorcycle gang.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Hefner's first TV foray was called "Playboy's Penthouse" a B&W taped series from Chicago in 1959.
Ten years later, after the big move from Chicago to L.A., Hef tried it again with "Playboy After Dark" (1969-70), in color this time, but about the same "party" format. Both series were syndicated to local stations (if they dared :) ).
BTW, I watched Lawrence Welk too. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.