PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
xppL4rA.jpg
Okay, here is my current collection as of October, 2016. I had more pipes, but traded some on a commission.

From top left, working across:

1. Castello old Antiquari KK 15 that used to belong to my father.

2.Castello "Castello" KKKK (Kino)

3. Castello "Castello" KKK (Carlo Scotti)

4. Caminetto Business K that used to be my father's favorite pipe!

5. Savinelli Nonpareil 9412 (Also my father's)

6. Savinelli Nonpareil 9304 (Father's)

7. Savinelli Nonpareil 9904

8. Savinelli nonpareil 9408

9. Jesse Jones 1/4 Bent Brandy (Commission)

10. Ascorti Sabbia Di Oro

11. Ascorti KS (Gold "A")

12. Ascorti Business KS (Gold "A")

13. Mastro Beraldi Smooth, Straight Grain.

14. Ben Wade Martinique

15. Comoy's Golden Grain (3-part "C")

16. Icarus Straight Sandblasted Apple

17.Stanwell Flame Grain 212 (Eltang)

18. Stanwell Silhouette (REGD)

19. Peterson Irish Harp 106

20. H.I.S. (Guardesana) Bent Brandy

21. H.I.S. (Guardesana) Bent Apple

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Pagan - My brother, I only have one cob, a Missouri Meerschaum, that I use for trying new blends. I really need a Meerscaum pipe, or maybe some clays!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Thanks for the comments! I have pared away the ones I had that just didn't suit me. These all smoke great for me! The Ben Wade is not really my style aesthetically, but it smokes so well I just can't part with it!

unclescot

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
Do the Ben Wades have any kind of maker's mark? I received two at what would be a good price from eBay, but neither of them have any kind of mark. Now that I think about it, the second may not be one; it came during a rush of Ben Wades, but looks too clumsily carved to come in such an expensive box. :) The one I really like is a giant volcano dublin (?), unfortunately heavily smoked.
Apropos of nothing, I have a second question: why do some tenons fit some mortices, but others not? Is this a thing that the pipemaker has control over? I assumed they came in standard sizes and shapes and could be adapted to your mortice, but I tried switching stems from one pipe to another and none of them fit, precisely, in any of them. It seems that none of them are original to their pipe. Why would it be difficult to find one with a tenon matching the mortice?

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I only have one Ben Wade. The markings are:
Ben Wade, Martinique, Hand Made In Denmark, BW Crown on stem
Stems are made to be specific to a pipe. As I understand it, pipe carvers and companies make the tenons to fit their pipes. Most artisan pipe makers and repair men can fit a stem to a pipe for you, usually at little cost. I had Jesse Jones make a new stem to fit an old Prebn Holm I broke the tenon on. (I also cracked the shank!)

I think I paid $30 for the new one. Not hand cut from rod, but a modified pre-formed stem. He also drilled it out to his normal specs, which are perfect. I know Tim West and Mark Tinsky do repairs / replacements and I believe there are some on this forum that do that type of work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm especially interested that this stable of pipes is the result of some culling. That is among the most difficult things to do for me and likely many others. I could improve my collection by trading off some and consolidating it into higher-line pipes, but some of the "lesser" pipes are such sturdy and good smokers in their own rights, that I hesitate to do that. But you have obviously made some tough decisions (probably) and gotten good results. Very enviable grouping. Mostly not brands I own, but classy and well-chosen for sure.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
MSO - Thank you. It really wasn't difficult for me. When I came back to the pipe, I really didn't know what I liked. If it was pretty, I'd buy it. I acquired some freehands, some really big pipes, and several bents. I have since discovered that I prefer more classic shapes (a bit of flair is okay), straight to 1/4 bents and Dunhill size 4-5's (I even have some smaller than that). While some of the ones I got rid of were great smokers, I found myself not reaching for them. I'd rather have a smaller collection of pipes I love than a large one where some get neglected. I'd rather know somebody, elsewhere, is enjoying them! Not all my favorites are high grade hand carves, I have a couple of Stanwells and a Pete that I wouldn't part with for the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.