PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

roverblue

Lurker
Feb 17, 2012
I have a new pipe recently made by a well known carver that seems to produce an interesting reaction. Every time I smoke it, my teeth seem to tingle and even hurt a bit. I'm wondering if this relation could be caused by the pipe being made from a piece of briar that was not aged or cured enough before the pipe was made. I've smoked about ten bowls so far and I always get the same feeling. I have close to sixty pipes and have never experienced anything like it from either a new or estate pipe. Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

aikatal

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2013
The first things I'd consider are the weight of the pipe and the construction of the stem. A heavier pipe is more likely to put stress on the teeth and jaw-- as may the material and size of the stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree the weight and length of the pipe might have some bearing here, how it is leveraging

against your teeth and gums and jaw. If we are talking a heavy and especially a straight pipe,

these might be factors. Another aspect might be some stain used in or around the inside of

the bowl; hopefully this would burn off if it is the problem. Some unusual wood has been thought

to cause problems, although these cases have mostly been discredited. Mountain laurel was thought

to be toxic, but I think that was established to be parts of the plants other than that used for pipes.

I smoke two Mountain Laurel pipes ... for years ... no problem; I recommend them. I think a carver

might be willing to work with you, to see if he can help correct the problem, but you may want to

try a few strategies yourself. This is something that could fade with time. Also, you might try

different tobaccos; this could be the tobacco and not the pipe. It's a possibility.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
That does sound odd. If it only happens if you clench, then I'd be worried you might have a sinus issue. Sinus issues often cause teeth pain. If it happens even if you hand hold, and you are using a tobacco you regularly smoke, then I would worry you are having a reaction to something in the stain.

Status
Not open for further replies.