PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2013
Indianapolis
As a new pipe smoker (side note: 8 days cigarette free after two months of pipery) I am pleased that I have managed to be diligent in my early studies in regards to pipes and tobaccos. In addition, I have digested dozens of articles and posts relating to patience in regards to a full assessment of any given tobacco (and pipes for that matter) as the impression, pleasure, and general consideration of ANY given smoke can evolve from day to day....bowl to bowl.
First bowl infatuation changes to boredom towards the middle of the tin...or doesn't. A dislike for a first sample slowly blossoms into a deep appreciation for a product. Reaching for a flake you didn't love a week ago after concentrating of a handful of English mixtures that were all love at first toke....and finding a real appreciation where previously....one didn't exist!
So many pipes to smoke and tobaccos to sample!
Color me bland....but this is the most fun I have had with a distraction (obsession) in years.
It is truly outstanding to have a resource like these forums to help guide a new fellow through the beginning of the journey and beyond. I am convinced that the information I've gleaned here is in no small way part of the rapid crescendo of fascination I have with this hobby.
The wife, co-workers, family---I am quite sure I am driving them bat-shit crazy with my newly-found, incessant pipe-speak and to them I shout "Tough! Join me!"

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Welcome Patrick and well said! And congrats on 8 days cig free. While I enjoyed cigs, I feel so much healthier having quit them

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site and I wish you continued success with your journey into the world of the pipe smoker. If you stay off the cigs, the savings alone will fund a nice collection of pipes and tobacco. If you are a pack a day smoker, that is approx 7 dollars a day equals 2550.00 a year you can spend on this new hobby. Once you get a nice rotation of pipes and a nice sized cellar, you will save that amount for years. Tell your wife that the pipe will save you 51,000.00 over a 20 year period.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Welcome, I guess this is the year the Patricks all quit smoking the sticks. Im at the 3 week mark of no cigs. Love trying the different blends of tobacco. Also loving the looks as Im a very young looking 30.
Best of luck, and if you start craving a cigarette, load a bowl of Prince Albert. Its my current crave calmer.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I'll echo your statement, I've been smoking a pipe for years, but hadn't really sought any knowledge or insight into different tobaccos and pipes as I mainly concentrated on cigars. This site is excellent wealth of knowledge.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
It's the place to be, Patrick. Enjoy the hobby/obsession. My circle of friends and family think I'm a little nuts, too, so you're not alone in that.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Your comments about "patience in regards to a full assessment of any given tobacco" is amazingly astute.

I've got a feeling your posts will be among the more edifying to be found in these precincts.

Status
Not open for further replies.