PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I just watched the new release Murder on the Orient Express and there is a close up of the pipe stem showing a H mark. I did an online search and the closest makers mark to the font used was Hermes.
The problem is the orientation is across the stem and I think the move orientation was along the stem. Also some sites show the Hermes H with an octagonal border.
Any Poirot out there who can solve the mystery?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have not seen the movie yet but is it posible that it could be a Hilson? Hilson was made in Belgium and would make sense for the period.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
The pipe belonged to the doctor and Poirot asked him to see his tobacco and pipe. (A pipe cleaner was found at the scene of the murder)

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I did a cursory search and cannot find a picture of the pipe in question, the H could be a lot of different pipes over the years, I need to see the nomenclature to be accurate. Some companies N’s even look like H’s, so further study is needed.

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
I have a Hilson Flair with Military bit. There is no H on the stem. Just says Hilson Flair on one side of shank and 225 on the other side.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Was the logo like this? (Hermes makes a lot of sense in that they are carriage trade folks.)
hermes-pipe-725.jpg

Hilsons started in the late 19th c, but became popular outside of Belgium in the 60's and 70's for their meer-lined bakelite/acrylic Fantasia models. They didn't originally have an H on the stems, but by the 60's they did, or at least this is how it was explained to me. I have more Hilsons in my collection than any other pipes, but the "H" is stamped on, and it doesn't take too many cleanings before the "H" comes off. The new 21st c Hilsons have a lowercase "h" stamped on them.

However, for a movie, this is probably more thought than was put into keeping it period accurate, and I am not even sure what period that movie was supposed to be (haven't seen it yet). But, I could see someone asking what pipe would be best for a Belgian, and some tobacconist handing them a new Hilson, or maybe an estate.
Hilsons are sort of distinct in their shapes. If I could see a picture, it would help. But, they never had a circle around the "H" or "h".

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I saw the movie! On a personal level Poirots mustache was the most incredible interpretation of Agatha Christies character I have ever seen in my life and nothing like as described in the books. The better rendition was the 1970s version with Sean Connery playing the pipe smoking former officer with his Petersham pipe. I understand from the Hollywood stance of inclusivity we needed a different 'type' of person even if it butchered the story and I believe the pipe smoked by the good doctor was a Hilson even if the character was completely out of whack to the original story. I am sure in future versions of the film Poirot will have to be 'gender questioning' and Miss Marple will turn out to be a member of the LBTGQ community whilst smoking a pipe! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.