PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick777

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
I recently acquired, for $5, a Kaywoodie standard, shape 67, with a 4 hole drinkless attachment/screw in tenon.

The stinger has no markings. The white cloverleaf is proportioned normally and is on the left side.

From my research, this pipe may have been made in 1970 or earlier. I find this hard to believe because at 40+ years old the pipe is in IMMACULATE unsmoked condition. The polish still holds a shine. No signs of refinishing or anything can be seen.

Could this be a newer pipe with the 4 hole stinger? (4 holes in the ball.)
Anything someone could tell me would go a long way in satiating my curiosity. I am hesitant to smoke it......

The only markings are those mentioned above.
Thanks

Rick

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Unless you are looking to resell it to a Kaywoodie collector, enjoy it. If you smoke it and don't like it you can always sell it, but DON"T take the stinger off like many do, a collector of Kaywoodies would not want it in that condition.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
The shape should be a straight billiard and the years the standard were made were between 1950-1970. Sounds like, from the condition you describe, it could be New/Old stock. Meaning it is a new pipe a shop may have had and never sold, or perhaps in someones collection and they never smoked it.
Either way, you've found a nice older and unsmoked pipe. Fire it up and enjoy it. But as said, don't cut off the stinger, they haven't made the 4-hole stinger for quite some time.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
shape 67 is more of a liverpool shape. It is listed as a long shank small billiard. That's a heck of a good buy for an unsmoked Kaywoodie Standard. The going price for most unsmoked pieces are around 30 to 40 dollars. Congrats on a nice find, and please don't cut off the filter, you will get more than double your money back if someday you decide to trade or sell the pipe.

Enjoy,

Doc

rick777

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
I will post a couple pics as soon as I can.
The "new/old" stock is probably correct. I run into it all the time with vintage British car parts.
It appears that while this is a nice find, it is nothing special.

Her virtue is about to come to an end. ;)

I think some Blackwoods flake is in order!

A perfect size smoke to break in a newly restored 63 MidGet!
Rick

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I have several 4 holed stinger Kaywoodies...I don't know the dates either - but they smoke great.

rick777

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
well, I am happy to say, it smoked well, lasted just under an hour.

Just long enough for the Midget electrical ghost to appear and put us off the road for a few days.... (British automotive electrics....)
I gave the bowl a very thin coat of real maple syrup, it carbonized instantly to a nice hard carbon layer. Smoked very well until the last minute or so when I could detect a briar taste.

No gurgle, no burn, stayed lit easily, just a smooth casual smoke.
The bit did oxidize very quickly, as soon as I started smoking it. I will give it a quick buff, then give it a coat of Obsidian pipe stem oil.
It is a nice pipe, perfect size for quick outings during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.