PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Just finished an hour long bowl of Frog Morton's Cellar and was wondering if anybody else had tried it.
I was shopping at a Kansas City B&M before Christmas and a cigar smoking patron, named Carl, called me out when I was poking through their tins of English tobaccos.
"Have you tried Cellar yet?"
"Ahhh, no, Sir. I haven't."
Get ready. He really said this.
"Why the f*ck not?"
Guys, what the hell? Who gets nailed by a non-employee when you're shopping for something to smoke?
Once I stopped laughing I told him that I'd liked every McClelland product I've ever tried but,"... sticking a chunk of whiskey barrel into a tin of pipe tobacco is a pure horseshit marketing move."
He laughed and said, "I thought the same thing until I tried it. Go buy a tin. They've only got two left."
At this point, the lady behind the counter said, "Hey? Got a pipe on you?"
"No. Ma'am."
"Well then, here's a sample. Let me know what you think."
The first bowl knocked my socks off. And then the second bowl did the same damned thing. At first, I wondered about the lack of complexity and then, after the second bowl, I wondered if those two tins would still be there tomorrow morning. The smoke was creamy and thick and the Bourbon came through not only in the taste, so faintly, but in the room note as well.
So, here are the Fnord Criteria:
Is it as good as Nightcap? No.
Is it as good as Frog Morton on the Bayou? Oh, yeah. Minus the Perique it's still just as tasty.
Is it as good as Larry's Blend? Yep.
Well, then..... Let's buy some.
Fnord

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
What are ya curious about? The title here suggests a question of some kind.
Sounds like ya got a good idea from a forward fella.
Maybe a good shop ya got there. With some good folks. Maybe you should patron that place more.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
I have not tried Cellar yet either. Now you really have me curious because I like Larry's Blend much more than Nightcap. :) Local B&M was charging $27 for a tin of Cellar and I guess that left a bad taste in my mouth. Might add all of the Frogs to next TAD. Still searching for the be all end all blend... So jealous of others who have found it.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Tarzen shoot me your address in a PM. I'll send you a few bowls.
Yeah I'll be honest, I figured the extra piece of wood was marketing and a way to take up space. Either way I enjoy the stuff. Its a fun smoke.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I have enjoyed cellar but only had samples of it. When I put together another order ill be picking up a couple tins

oldpops41

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2012
I havent tried any of the frogs yet every time i get ready to order i get little iffy and end up not. Shame on me guess i will just do it. Sounds like its a good one. Guess everyone cant be wrong.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I tried two Frogs - smoked whole tins of both of 'em - didn't like 'em - don't intend to buy any more. If samples show up in the box pass, I will try again, but otherwise nope. More for the rest of you guys. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.