PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbrandybuck

Might Stick Around
Aug 17, 2010
Massachusetts
Occasionally if I smoke too fast with a strong blend I get some stomach discomfort. I was wondering if anybody knew a remedy to fix this problem. Any help would be wonderful.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I'm not a nicotine heavyweight, so the best tact for me is to use

small bowls with blends that I know are strong. When you feel the

nicotine effects begin, you can always set the bowl down and come

back to it later. Keeping a beverage and some snacks handy will also

help. Once you go over your nicotine tolerance threshold, the only thing

that works is time. Better to avoid it than have to deal with it.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Just like full bodied cigars if you eat something before you smoke it you should be fine with nausea or stomach cramps. I tend to only smoke high nicotine blends after dinner to avoid this myself.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I very rarely get affected by nicotine discomfort, but when I do, it normally comes in the form of a queasy stomach and sometimes a light headache.
Good advise about eating before smoking a strong blend. Another thing that I find that works a lot of the time is to eat some chocolate. I guess the sugars in the chocolate help to get rid of some of the effects.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Yep, save the high nicotine tobaccos for after dinner. Smoke it is smaller bowls as Fred suggested. Smoke slow enough to just keep it going.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I agree with some of the other guys, eat a full meal beforehand. Otherwise, it takes at least several hours for the effects to wear off.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
It helps to not smoke in a confined space, like a telephone booth. Smoke in a well ventilated room. Smoke slowly and carefully so that you do not inhale. If you still feel ill, go to the bathroom, sit on the pot, and put head down until you feel better. Nicotine overload can also cause the trots, and make you dizzy, as well as sick to your stomach.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The fellows are right you need something in your stomach, one of the best way to calm a stomach is a few bites of raw potato, on my fathers shrimp boat the new hands with queasy stomachs were calmed by munching on a raw potato, I never knew the feeling, just lucky I guess. The old cajun

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have also found that very sweet drinks like sweet tea or orange juice helps with the nausea. Bradley, that is a very interesting remedy, I am sure it works if your dad recommended it. I know how these old southern guys have their fixes for everything. Sounds pretty cool.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm a nicotine weakling and when I get the nicotine spins, I grab some chocolate and a Coke and that fixes it right up. I always have KitKat or Twix bars on hand.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I prefer root beer myself!
My suggestions have already been covered: smoke slowly in a smaller bowl than usual, in an open/ventilated place, on a full stomach with a sweet beverage on hand for after your smoke... Also, don't do anything else while you are smoking - if the blend is enough to make you dizzy, then don't try to read the paper or anything. Relax and just go with the flow instead of trying to concentrate on another task... (I can't read in the car, either, for example)

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
First, smoke on a full stomach. If you have nausea from smoking, drink some water and take two or three Tums. And, maybe lay or sit down a bit. It works for me.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I agree with what was stated earlier. Something in the stomach, enjoy your smoke with your favorite beverage. For me that alone makes me slow down on the puffing somewhat. I enjoy smoking while having a cup of coffee, of course you get the nicotine with a little caffeine, but I dont mind that too much.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I am very intolerant of high nicotine blends. (ie: nic wimp!) If I have to initiate certain mechanisms/tricks to avoid nausea, I decided it just wasn't worth it and avoid those blends. Smoking is supposed to be an enjoyable experience, nausea as result of a particular blend isn't a desired outcome for myself. Blends that caused issues were gifted to others (and most happily enjoyed).

Status
Not open for further replies.