PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Recently my parents were in Kentucky, and while up there they happened upon some tobacco leaf. My mother is an herbalist and picked it up curious about its medicinal properties. I've gotten a bit of it and was wondering if you can smoke this? Its bone dry, so im wondering if i should go about this as if it were just pouch tobacco with rehydrating it and things? I'll post some pictures, maybe you guys can help tell me what strand of leaf this is.

Anyhow, i thought it was cool anways. :puffy:
5p4y8m.jpg

o0pag0.jpg

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
If i was you i would spray iot with some water from a atomiser and let it come back in to case ( thats soft and pliable) it looks pretty dry, but wouldnbt take that long. Cant really tell what strin it is though. once its in case i would take out the mid rib and roll it and snip, snip snip into ribbons. you might find it to be a tad harsh :)

Jul 15, 2011
Ill bet if you posed this question to one of the fine people over at Cornell and Diehl or McClelland, they could give you a better answer than I could. They are, after all, professionals. :puffy:

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Seanz: Right now i've just got it in a bowl with the whole towel method of rehydrating, im not sure of another way of doing it. Maybe misting it with water and placing it into a bag, maybe with a wet paper towel or somthing? Im thinking its going to be a bit harsh too, probably burn the hell out of my tongue! Im obviously going to take the traditional route and put this stuff into one of my cobs!
MatchStickMan: Thats a great idea, i think i'll shoot them an email and maybe they can help me out with what i should do with it. Maybe they have a nice way to dress it up or somthing. I really dont have alot, just a couple of small leaves. I just dont have an idea what to do with it! When i got it at first i was like 'oh man, going to put this in my pipe right now and smoke it!' haha. The typical pipe smokers response!

Jul 15, 2011
Craig and Chris both have helped me understand a lot about tobacco in general, so Im sure that one of them could give you at least some idea. Everyone at C&D is always very pleasant to deal with, which is why they came to mind first. Let us know what they tell you.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Misting is what the pros do. I would not get it too wet. Maybe mist it good and then bag it for 2 days, then open the bag and see what shape it is in.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Thanks for all the help, theirs alot of things to go through especially with Lawrence's link. Im sure we're all guilty of never looking at the stickied threads!!! I knew their was a reason that they were stickied!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think the greatest benefit of having this leaf is that you will come to appreciate how much effort must go into producing a top notch smoke.

I believe both G.L. Pease and Russ Ouellette have said most everything we'll ever smoke has been flavored in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.