Cure For Constipation & Recipe For Haggis Chipewyan Style ~1770.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Reading the first volume (of three) of the history of the Hudson's Bay Company by Canadian journalist and author Peter C Newman I'm finding some extraordinary snippets of historical information.
In the chapter about trapper and explorer Samuel Hearne there are many extracts from his detailed journal. On one particular trip with some Native Indians of the Chipewyan tribe he details a remedy for constipation which makes my eyes water.
"For some inward complaints, such as griping in the intestines, difficulty in making water etc, it is very common to see those jugglers blowing into the anus, or into the parts adjacent, until their eyes are almost starting out of their heads:and this operation is performed indifferently on all without regard to age or sex. The accumulation of so large a quantity of wind is at times apt to occasion some extraordinary emotions which are not easily suppressed by a sick person and as there is no vent for it but by the channel through which it was conveyed thither, it sometimes occasions an odd scene between the doctor and his patient". 8O
Living out in the wild with these folks, Hearne did his best to blend in and live their way, particularly in sharing their eating habits. Here is their recipe for haggis..... a dish he became pretty fond of!
"Caribou meat was at first cut into bite sized pieces and given to small boys to chew. The softened bits were then stirred in with the half digested contents of the animal's stomach with enough water added so that the whole mess would boil up into a mush, then stuffed into the stomach lining and cured over a Smokey fire"
He did however draw the line at eating fleas, warble flies and ticks plucked from his compatriots who regarded such as a delicacy by his very diplomatic reason that he feared that he didn't want to get to like them so much as it would mean he would pine for them when back in London where he would have no supply!
That said, he was happy to gorge himself on raw deer brains, caribou foetuses and baby beavers torn from their mother's wombs.
I hope you weren't eating whilst reading this....
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People did what they thought might work in the absence of any more specialized treatment. My wife grew up on a farm. When she was young they didn't have electricity or running water. Both by belief and for financial reasons, they were very sparing with "doctoring," and had many old fashioned and folk remedies. Her grandma lived to be 99, so survived the way of life. A lot of physical activity and fairly clean air and water probably helped.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I love haggis, and what Poles (in Chicago, at any rate) call kishka, which I find to be similar.

But I wouldn't eat what Hearne described! :puffy:

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
as there is no vent for it but by the channel through which it was conveyed thither, it sometimes occasions an odd scene between the doctor and his patient.
Probably called for a washing up of both parties :? Interesting post, Jay.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Every few years I get the pleasure/honor of attending the annual Robert Burns Appreciation Society's fundraiser in Anchorage and I always enjoy the haggis (not to mention many drams of Scotch). I enjoy pushing my limits with foodstuffs when I travel as well. I've eaten various insects and parts of animals I'll never know what they were but as the saying goes, a man's got to know his limits. I'd at least try that particular haggis but would have to draw the line there. I'd of course have to have a few drams first...

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I suppose when in an environment where food is scarce then whatever one is able to shoot or trap, nothing is wasted. Sucking the marrow from bones being one particular example.
There is an old saying that the only part of a pig one cannot eat is his squeak!
My ex girlfriend refused to eat pork pie as she reckoned it was made from pig's willies :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Here in the Faroe Islands people ate whatever was available back in the days. There is a saying that anything that's softer than stone is edible. There were limits though. I was looking something up in a faroese/english dictionary and came across the word "grolla". The explanation in english was: "Vaginal entrance of female pilot whale. Not to be eaten."

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Here in the Faroe Islands people ate whatever was available back in the days."
Please remind me of this should you ever invite me dinner! I have actually read about the survival eating habits of the Faroese and they leave much to the imagination :puffy:
Regards,
Jay

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah! But that was true in many countries far enough back, including the Western US and Canada only 100 years ago or so. Remember the Donner "party"!? Though that was ca. 1850.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I've read about the Donner party and also the wreck of the Essex, one of the inspirations for Moby Dick. I bet those folks would find our problems with acquiring tobacco and getting rid of unwanted bowl coatings to be negligible.

You're welcome, Jay.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I love haggis.
Regarding folk remedies my father was a great believer in Hot Toddy as a cure all. When I was a teenager my dog was unwell and keeping me awake at night (officially he slept in a basket in my room; in practice he kept me feet warm in bed). Eventually Hot Toddies all round although the dog let his cool down before drinking it; result - everyone including the dog went to sleep.
Next day at the vet (or veterinarian to avoid confusion) we were asked if we had given the dog anything for his discomfort. After my dad replied 'Hot Toddy' the vet asked what on earth made us think that was suitable; to which my dad said "it's what we gave the pigs on the farm when they were sick". Startled looking vet then checked his notes and eventually said "Are you Irish?" and left it that.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Jay, when I first visited Portugal with my then girlfriend (now wife) she took great delight in pointing out a butchers that had everything needed to make a Feijoada(*); trays of pigs ears; pigs tails; pigs snouts and things that looked like and probably were pigs willies. Indeed, the only thing missing was the squeak.
(*) traditional pork and bean stew
At least in a pork pie they are all chopped up and not still recognisable :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.