PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2017
Mooresville NC
I'm in the market for a new pipe. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Cumberland and acrylic stems? Like which is easier to take care of and such. Thanks for your input .

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Acrylic or Lucite stems require no special care or attention. They keep their gloss and are very durable. The one con is they are harder than vulcanite. Some people find them to be uncomfortable on their teeth.
Cumberland (brindled vulcanite) (ebonite) can oxidize and turn color with excessive exposure to sunlight and acidic saliva. They are softer and more forgiving on the teeth than acrylic, but also more susceptible to tooth marks and indentions.

Cumberland (or more correctly, "brindled Vulcanite") is slow to oxidize, at least slower than some other vulcanites, but is susceptible to losing it's polish where you put your mouth on it, probably from the acids in your saliva. And, it will eventually oxidize.
Acrylic doesn't oxidize and keeps its polish, but is very hard. I hate the way it feels on my teeth, like clenching a rock. I also think acrylic looks too plastic-y to my eyes, especially with anything other than black, I can't stand the look. Also, they are more prone to breaking under shock if dropped. But, to many, not to have to polish them every now and them makes up for the fake look.
Just my $0.02

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Looks like they covered it. Personally, I prefer acrylic because I like the low maintenance.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Above answers are perfect. If you clench, there is a good chance that you will prefer ebonite/vulcanite/cumberland, and the tooth indentations are favorable, as they allow you to grip the stem better in your mouth. Like those fancy flip flops people used to buy which formed to your feet. But acrylic comes in crazy colors, and although I agree it looks a bit plastic often, you may like to have fancy, crazy colored stems if that is your thing. If you can stand those awful feeling softie bits or heat shrink tubing, you can get the acrylic and clench. Lastly, some guys will make you an ebonite stem with an acrylic accent, so you get the color and comfort. The world is your oyster, my friend.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Does acrylic or lucite come in colors? I want to stay away from black.
Check out the different Savinelli lines on SmokingPipes.com (sponsor link on this page to the left) and you will see a range of colored acrylic stems.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
But acrylic comes in crazy colors

I already answered and fear that you are not reading. Acrylic, lucite, and alumilite come in many colors. Thousands. Many guys actually do their own pours so you can get literally anything. Heisenberg Pipes works closely with someone who will do very specific custom pours if you have something in mind. Ebonite does come in some colors, but very limited. There are still enough to make some happy.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I like shrink tubing a whole lot more than those bulky softie bits for the pipes I want to clench.....much sleeker and obviously very form fitting. And shrink tubing doesn't dry rot in a year.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good explanations on this thread. I'd just add that I like Vulcanite stems/bits on heavier pipes for comfort against my teeth, but for average or light weight pipes, I like acrylic for their maintenance-free quality, though I still polish them after smoking. One other important point -- acrylic stems are often made in Cumberland colors and patterns so unless you look closely or clench them, you wouldn't know the difference. Though I especially like acrylic stems in Cumberland and tortoise shell colors, the best of both worlds in a lighter weight pipe.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Does anyone else have difficulty telling the difference between a black ebonite stem and a black Lucite stem?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Most of my pipes have the traditional Vulcanite stems which can actually taste like rubber tires. Acrylic, though harder, is taste free and the low maintenance is a plus for a lazy SOB like me!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Does anyone else have difficulty telling the difference between a black ebonite stem and a black Lucite stem?
The thumbnail test and the smell of the stem give them away.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
From a pipe makers perspective, ebonite is the preferred material for artisan pipes. One, because (I believe) it is the expected material to find on a hand made pipe. Two, it is a much easier material to work on; filing, sanding, sawing the funnel open, etc. There are two kinds of ebonite. One is called vulcanite and which is factory moulded, cheaper quality, and contains a higher percentage of sulfur in it which will lead to quicker oxidation (the green stuff). The other, ebonite, is often of German make and comes in rod form, is harder, has less sulfur, buffs up to a higher shine, oxidises much slower, and is easier to maintain than vulcanite. The latter is the stuff that most artisan pipe makers use. This isn't to say that acrylic is inferior. I personally like acrylic for its low maintenance and super high gloss shine. Is it, however, much harder to work. It also comes in both factory pre-mould shapes or rod. A lot of the lesser expensive pipes will have an acrylic pre-mould, but some companies hand cut from rod or sheet, like Castello or Ardor...even artisan carvers like JT Cooke or Bonaquisti. I use both materials in my pipes (Larrysson Pipes), often using acrylic pre-moulds to help lower the overall cost of a pipe because it takes less time to finish an acrylic stem than to craft an ebonite stem from rod. With ebonite, it is easier to get a really thin bite behind the button. It has a lot of give to it and won't break or shatter if dropped. If an acrylic stem is filed too thin behind the button, it would be more fragile and could possibly bitten through if aggressively clenched. I use ebonite on more expensive pieces or stems that require a lot of turning on a lathe. Ebonite can come in a lot of colours, too, but not nearly as many colours as acrylic.

Status
Not open for further replies.