PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hello restoration experts, might you advise me on something please?
Today a bundle of estates arrived from Ebay and in amongst them is a Cumberland stemmed Dunghill blasted billiard. My question is this, is the procedure the same for cleaning (600 grit up to 7000 grit) Cumberland stems as for Vulcanite?
I would rather not ruin it so thought it best to ask here afore I take it on.
Thank you.
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Classically it is red and black ebonite/vulcanite swirled together but is available now in other colors.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
My favorite stem material BTW. Have quite a few, and love it due to its woodgrain appearance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Of course this is simulated in acrylic which, depending on your point of view, is a cheap imitation or a lovely low maintenance look-alike. I guess you know where I come down on this, but I appreciate the real item, from a distance, nonetheless. If your teeth hate acrylic, get the real thing.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
OK. So cumberland is vulcanite. Good to know. Thank you!
By default, cumberland is vulcanite. However some cumberland is acrylic. Best to ask when in doubt.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Clickclick answered your question. Work Cumberland just as you would black vulcanite or acrylics.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Cumberland stems are beautiful. I'd love to add a few pieces with them into my collection if I can find some in my price range.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You could always have one made by Walker Briar Repair for one of your currently owned pipes. :wink:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Today a bundle of estates arrived from Ebay and in amongst them is a Cumberland stemmed Dunghill blasted billiard.
My question is this, is the procedure the same for cleaning (600 grit up to 7000 grit) Cumberland stems as for Vulcanite?
Pretty much, but not quite.
There is often enough hardness variation between a Cumberland stem's base color and its "streak" color that sanding should be taken to a higher grit, and buffing done with a lighter touch to avoid creating a textured surface. (Think sandblasting, just a couple orders of magnitude less dramatic.)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks George, I can go as high as 12000 grit (no buffer here) then move onto Meguiars polish which is likely the route I shall take. I just hope the white spot stays where it is.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, clickklick nailed it on the first shot, so the rest of us chimed in with a few details. I don't think the thread was hijacked.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
George is right (shocker!), particularly with Dunhill Cumberland stems. Go easy on the wheel. I've found the white dots to be pretty darn durable (and a pleasure to work on ).

Status
Not open for further replies.