PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Please educate me on the word Cumberland, as it pertains to pipes.
I've seen the word used to describe stems and pipes in general.
What is it? Pros & cons? Facts & opinions?
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are experts who can break this down with precision. As best I know, Cumberland stems are a certain variety of Vulcanite and similar material that is usually a dark brown with a kind of grain-like pattern, and of course there are acrylic imitations which, while not real Cumberland, are fetching. As a separate matter, Dunhill has a long standing series called Cumberlands that have a distinct finish. I like the acrylic Cumberland imposture stems because they are handsome and so easy to maintain.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The name "Cumberland" came from the Dunhill line that featured brindle stems. The stems usually are swirled red and black ebonite that resembles woodgrain. In recent years more colors have been made available, but have also retained the name Cumberland as that is one of their origins, though the stem design itself is brindle.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
No real pros and cons to ebonite/vulcanite, just a different color option.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Another example of a brindle stem are the pipes made by Ashton called Brindle. (duh) The brindle they use is sometimes quite an interesting variation of a vulcanite stem. They might be a love it or hate it type of stem though.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
A “Cumberland Pipe” is just a pipe with a Cumberland or “Brindle” vulcanite stem. The stem denotes the pipe name and not the stummel.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Unless you're speaking of Dunhill where the line was actually called Cumberland.

Status
Not open for further replies.