PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Right off the bat, I am neither an aro lover nor a hater. My mainstay blends are non-aros, but I enjoy a change off. The problem with most aros are they are so heavily topped that the underlying tobacco is nothing more than a combustible sponge, and apparently many blenders don't feel the need to undermine their profits by using good-quality tobacco. However there are a good number of aros (albeit a small percentage, given the huge selection available tinned and bulk) which are good smokers. Cult Blood Red Moon makes it to the list.
The first thing even before opeining the tin, is the name and the tin art. The name "Cult" does not instill confidence in me, a veteran pipe smoker. And the tin art and Blood Red Moon name seem like more befitting something you'd expect to find in a weed store. I almost felt like I should get at least one tattoo and piercing before I smoked it. Almost. But putting aside my biases, I opened the tin.
Under the typical pleated paper wrapper is a clear cellophane disc rather than the cardboard one is accustomed to. Idk why they do that, probably it's cheaper. The answer to every puzzling question is usually money. But it does allow the smoker a glimpse at the tobacco a couple seconds earlier than other blends ;)
The tobacco is a rough-ribbon cut of dark mahogany mixed with black. Color-wise it evokes dark cherries and dark chocolate. Idk if that was intentional, but if so it was quite clever subliminal marketing. The tin note is unmistakably cherry, but I can't say I could smell chocolate. But the cherry aroma is quite realistic, and does not reek of artificial flavoring.
The moisture level was perfect upon opening. I squeezed a bunch together and it promptly fell apart, whereas I had expected it to stick like a spit-wad. I was duly impressed, because I hate having to dry my tobacco and believe a blender worth his salt should ship every blend at perfect smoking moisture. And because typically, drying an aro causes some of the flavor to evaporate. Not the case with Blood Red Moon, it was raring to go.
Packing was a no-fuss operation. I simply stuffed a loose wad into my pipe, added a little capper and pushed down to a light springy feel, and the draw was perfect. The charring light was easy, and in fact I merely tamped a little and never had to relight for the rest of the bowl.
The flavor of cherry (and whatever else is in there, it's rather hard to pick anything else out given the overwhelming cherry-ness) was delightful, and so was the room note. It definitely smells like cherry though, not the "old time grandpa's pipey" aroma so many people love. But it's not a sickly-sweet cherry aroma, not like a cherry-scented air freshener or candle. I would call it a subdued, classy, elegant cherry aroma.
Blood Red Moon makes copious thick, creamy smoke with just a slow, sipping cadence so there is no impetus for billow-lovers to puff hard. However just to put it to the test, I puffed it like a freight-train. Doing that certainly causes a loss in flavor, but I could not get it to bite even a nip. That's commendable for an aro, and good news for newbies. I could easily recommend Blood Red Moon to new pipe smokers, as it is quite forgiving to less-than-optimal packing, lighting and puffing technique.
It is also quite mild in the nic department. I don't inhale but I doubt even that would induce any kind of nic hit. This is a blend strictly for lovers of a deep, satisfying cherry aro flavor. In fact you can still taste it a hour later, in a good way. And surprisingly, there was no goop in the bottom of the bowl...in fact unlike most blends, I was able to smoke Blood Red Moon all the way to the heel without having it go nasty on me.
Would I consider this an every-day smoke? Yes, instead of a fattening dessert after a meal I think it would be wonderful. Would I consider it an all-day smoke? Well, for health reasons I think smoking anything all day is a bad idea so I don't do it. But I think Blood Red Moon is one of those blends where less is more, and I could see it getting old if smoked too frequently. I mean, if you could eat cherry cobbler all day long every day then maybe this is an every-day blend ;)

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Nice review. You convinced me to order a tin, along with others that have given it a thumbs up. I've tried a couple cherry blends and have never cared for them including GH Top Black Cherry, which was pitched by many reviewers as one of the best. I thought it was awful along with all the others. I'm going to give this one a go because I've always wanted a cherry blend that I can smoke once in a while. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that this one doesn't taste like medicine.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
This is the 2nd time this morning and 4th time in 2 days that I have see someone on a web site talking about this tobacco and how good it is ... Must be a sign I have to get it now..

M

I've been able to smoke a few bowls of this and the flavor is nice. I'm not sure how often I will smoke it because it is so mild, but I'll smoke a bowl every now and then. It gives me something to smoke in a cob besides Carter Hall. There has to be a fair amount of humectant on it? It's unusually smooth.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
There has to be a fair amount of humectant on it?
I don't think it's PG, after all it's tinned, not pouched, so why would it need any? It did feel a bit moist, which scared me, but I pinched up a clump and it fell right apart, and it lit and burned fine, left no goop. So Idk why it feels like that.

M

I've never experienced anything like this tobacco. It's not that they would need to use it, but that they may have chosen to experiment with it. The humectant would allow for the tobacco to maintain the perfect ideal moisture content long-term without adding any goopy casings. I've never smoked a Lane product like it and the mouth feel is different than anything I've ever smoked. It's mainly the mouth feel of the smoke that makes me wonder. I mean my mouth feels refreshed afterwards... kind of like after using Biotene. I have no issue with humectant as I was a snus user for years. I don't know? It's just different in a way I can't put my finger on.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
shutterbugg , great review on this tobacco, going to order a few tins now and see how it smokes for me!

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Recently tried BRM due to all of the hype and the stuff gave me a headache. Of course, I'm not much of an aro smoker and are only recently starting to try to investigate and like them more. All of my life, "real" tobacco was Virginia or English-based; the sweet, candy stuff was kids stuff for those who really didn't like tobacco.
I've found the BRM can be blended with other tobaccos to give a subtle cherry note in the background with other flavors; I prefer an aro not to punch me in the face with over-the-top flavorings and aroma. I've made a wonderful aromatic blend that uses BRM as one of the ingredients, but the cherry in no way is obvious--- it kind of dances around just below the level of calling attention to itself.
In experimenting with this I've found that an opened, mostly empty tin that has had time to air out provides a much better smoke than the fresh, and once the BRM reaches that point, I enjoy it very much that way straight.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I bought a tin based on so many positive reviews. Meh.....I get the chocolate covered cherry taste, but I get no tobacco flavor at all. My dog left the room, which is funny because she revels in my heaviest English blends and will come quickly trotting into the room when I smoke Black House, but Cherry Aro. nope, she looked at me like I had just lit a turd and promptly left the room.

Reactions: Tom-202

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
Great review. The fact that BRM is often on back-order gives added testimony to the popularity of this fantastic blend. One of my favs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a good balanced account and recommends without embroidering. I'm sorry they used the "cult" language, not to mention the plastic disk. I've had some satisfactory cherry aromatics ( one is Newminster in my case, which was enjoyable but not something I'd re-order). Not on my list, but I appreciate the careful and sensible recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.