PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Pipe smoking and Scotch led me on a quite wondrous digression - while searching for an item to use in a response on these forums - to this rather interesting film. Made in the 1960's, this account of the battle of Culloden (the defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie's attempt to regain the crown for the Stewart line) was shot as if it took place during the era of television reporting. It's an interesting take on the usually dry battlefield documentary and one of my personal favorites.
Culloden (1964) - Director Peter Watkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0efUZQANaE

I first saw this in a high school history class, and it instantly appealed to my anglophile nature. I was just so tickled at finding it on Youtube that I had to share.
Enjoy! :puffpipe:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
(Making the most of a double post here...)
Believe it or not, I was talking about Culloden with a guy at work just a couple of days ago. (He's a historian and I study 18th-c. literature, including Scots-Gaelic poems about Culloden and "Prionnsa Tearlach" [Prince Charlie]).

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
HMS Culloden sank in the 18th century very near where I used to live.
HMS Culloden was a 74-gun third-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy. She was the fourth warship to be named after the Battle of Culloden, which took place in Scotland in 1746 and saw the defeat of the Jacobite Rising. Culloden encountered severe weather and ran aground at North Neck Point (Will's Point) in Montauk.
Culloden Point, fished off of it many times when I lived "out East" in Montauk, NY.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I haven't seen this film, but I will watch it with interest. I am English but my family are Scots - my grandfather married an English girl. All of the Stewart men in my direct line came out for the Young Pretender and most were killed at Culloden, some of them after they'd spent the night lying wounded on the battlefield. One was marched to England and executed here. Hard history.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.