PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've culled pipes -- thinned out my collection -- on three occasions. Twice I sent off a box of three or four pipes to smokingpipes.com for store credit toward a pipe I wanted, and once I sent an old friend some pipes to stand in as decor for this now non-smoker. Since I tend to perennially have too many pipes, by my own reckoning, on all three occasions this was a good experience. However, I do admit, there is a down side. One of the pipes I sent to my friend has a cracked stem where it joined the bowl which I could have repaired or had repaired at little cost, on a nice "Made in London" smooth billiard basket pipe, a nice smoking pipe. I traded an L.L. Bean house pipe which could have been improved by simply sawing off the stinger (which didn't slide out). Two or three pipes I don't miss, just not good smokers with other problems. But most pipes are good enough to keep. I know some Forums members buy and sell pipes, restore pipes, and otherwise handle far more than they would care to keep for their own use. But since I don't, I have to admit that as many pipes as I have, mostly I trade them away with strongly mixed emotions. How about you?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I've let a couple go that I regretted shortly after, but overall I don't have emotional attachment to pipes. I really don't have emotional attachment to objects in general.

I could never live with the idea that I might end up seeing someone else walking around with "my" pipe sticking out of their maw. Nope, nadda, never. Besides, when I am done with a pipe no one would want it anyways. It gets crushed under the heal of my boot. Fini, goodbye, arrivederci, forever.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I still have and smoke the first pipe that I bought in the Summer of '91 if that tells you anything. :mrgreen:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am approaching the point where a half dozen or so pipes just don't get smoked, and will one day find new homes, by gift, trade, sale or forgetfulness!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Just did a big ebay clearout and I'm happy as a hog in slop about it. They were pipes I never smoke or never even got around to smoking and now I actually have room in my pipe cabinet...for more pipes. :mrgreen:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am a feral animal, and do not collect pipes. I have a few I love that I use. They will die at some point, like all of us die, and I will mourn them, then move on. It's a different way of looking at things but it works for me!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
warren, can't quite imagine sending a pipe to a landfill if it had enough left in it to sustain a discount on a pipe I really wanted; philosophically, I get it, practically I don't. But I think pipes tend to be expressive in some way, so each makes sense of it their own way.
deathmetal, if you have the self-disipline to keep your pipe count low, you probably will eventually burn out various ones, but my experience is to have enough pipes that would sustain me with at least some pipes until the age of 216. Then I'll decide how to dispose of them. By then I will have tried at least ten percent of the blends I fancy.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Over the years I have sold pipes that I really really really regret selling. I think how freaking stupid are you? So what are you going to do, cry, whine, go into a year long depression, yes I have done all three. Now when the thought comes to sell a pipe, I lock myself in a closet for a few days until the urge passes, it works real good.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
@mso- I think my pipes, with even lousy care, will last me a couple of lifetimes! So, theoretically, I shouldn't have to acquire any more.... So much for theory, three are in transit to me right now...

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Nearing 100 here, no thought of selling, and am presently working with Bruce Weaver on a pipe I designed. I guess as long as materials are available to make them, my collection will keep growing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do not buy pipes to simply own pipes. I only purchase a pipe I am going to smoke. I cannot remember ever having more than thirty pipes at any one time, not counting cobs. In the last ten years I've only found half a dozen pipes which interested me, again discounting cobs, I purchased two.
When a pipe outlives its appeal, it goes away. I see no need to box up, package and ship a bunch of used pipes somewhere to get a discount for a pipe as I do not purchase pipes on-line. I'm certainly not going to carry a box of used pipes under my arm to England or Ireland on the off chance I might find a keeper, at a retailer, who might be interested in my "box o'pipes."
I can toss a pipe in a matter of seconds, no corresponding, no phone calls, not trips to the PO, or any other time expended on something I wouldn't enjoy or benefit from. Some people enjoy that sort of transaction, I get it, it's just not what interests me.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Nope. I stand in front of each one and whisper "My precious".
hahaha-024.gif

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I may be a bit odd. At one point I had roughly 40 briars. I would look at them and think "these were made to be smoked"and you aren't getting the job done". Over time I noticed that many were seldom, if ever smoked. I started selling or giving those away.
I have found that for me, 12 or so pipes that I really connect with is the ticket. At the moment I have 4 Latakia pipes, 3 Vaper pipes and 4 Virginia pipes that I smoke. Within the next few days I will be sending two others off to Smoking Pipes for credit on a pipe I want.
Neither of them are crap. One is a Castello straight dublin and the other is a bent Nording. Both have really beautiful grain which is why I bought them. They both smoke very nicely, but they just aren't "Me".
It would be a shame to toss them when another person will probably really like them. And I will be happier with 12 really fine smoking pipes that get smoked at least weekly and properly broken in.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I don't have a large enough collection that I feel the *need* to thin it out. On the other hand, I'm perfectly happy to part with a pipe, even one I like, if I think they'll go unused, or that the recipient is worth it. For instance, I've gifted my very first pipe to a colleague who was interested in pipe smoking (at that point I never used that pipe anymore, it didn't really fit my face); I've also gifted one recently-acquired pipe to my niece, who had shown interest in it - I liked that pipe, and would be happy to keep it, but I have other pipes I like just as much or more, and I know my niece will appreciate it.

loomongous

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I mostly keep mine, except for ones I gift to friends. I have a few I might sell, however. Just not any time soon.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Giving a pipe away seems preferable to selling it. However, I've got some pipes I think maybe I'll sell, maybe, some day, when I feel really motivated.

What would that motivation be?

Another pipe.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Nothing wrong with culling:
http://www.davidmyatt.ws/wells-nine-angles.html
But my selection is too narrow to do it. I never got into PAD. TAD, on the other hand... God(s) help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.