PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Pretty easy, actually. You take the flake and cut them with scissors into small cubes. Some here use knives and even pizza cutters. The aim is to get the tobacco to resemble the old cube cut blends from the 1960's and earlier.

It's a pretty effective way to smoke flakes a different way.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I use scissors to cut my flakes down to about a 1/4" in size. First I cut strips length wise along the flake then cut the strips into cubes. I load the pipe just gravity feeding the cubes til the bowl is almost full then I will rub a couple of the cubes out and put the smaller pieces on the top for easier lighting. I push it all lightly down, charring light, light tamp, burning light, and enjoy. It will seem like a very loose pack but I find it burns perfect for me.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I've never found the need to cut the flakes lengthwise, myself. Crosswise at 1/8 intervals or so does the trick, after which a gentle rubbing out will allow the strips to fall naturally into cubes by separating along the layers of the flake. Just how I do it, of course. There's lotsa ways to skin that cat...

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I've found that the thicker flakes, or broken flakes are much more effective to cube cut. I recently developed an appreciation for this with Christmas Cheer. Previous to this I was dealing with thin rectangular flakes. I tried the fold and stuff and cube cutting and wasnt getting the results I desired. I then tried cutting them into long strips and folding them in a Z pattern, and that was it. Worked for me.
Warren

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just fold the flake length wise a couple of times and cut the cubes into fairly large cubes. I then use thee three step packing method making sure I have a nice tight pack before I light up. I always check the draw before lighting to make sure I have the proper amount of resistance. Too loose a pack means a hot burn and less flavors for my tastes.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Cube cutting" is a misnomer. You aren't cutting them into cubes, per se; you're cutting the flakes into small squares.
It's definitely a method worth experimenting with. But I personally haven't found any enhancement -- either in flavor or smoking/burning qualities -- in taking the time to do this. For me, I just rub out my flakes as much as possible and pack normally. The only time I can see myself choosing a "cube/square"-cut approach would be with something like McClelland's Dark Star, a wondrous, delicious flake that is so hard and thick it's virtually impossible to rub out thoroughly.
Just my .02, though!
Bob

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I personally love the cube cut method. I haven't had much luck with the fold and stuff method except for once on a navy flake. I take the approach cigrmaster uses I fold it a couple times length wise then I cut at 1/8'' intervals. It worlds really well for me.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Love to cube some flakes! I will space my cuts out wider around 1/4" or 3/8" if the flakes are really dry. If the tobacco is very moist and I can't wait for it to dry some I will cut the pieces as small as possible.
My cube cut post.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Just for everyone's edification it was Bent Mike who originally came up with the cube cut method on this site and I for one will be forever grateful. His post was the first describing this method and I think everyone should send him a tin of tobacco if you use his method.
Mike, I would send you one but I never cube cut my flakes, I only cut them into square like things that would not be considered cubes, but considered square like things.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
If it's a wet flake like SG's. You can cut up a bunch, let them dry out a bit and put them in a tin they'll last for weeks instead of cutting and waiting hours for a bowl. Same goes for flake that not extremely wet, just throw them in the tin.
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.