PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
A few months ago, I began building a terra cotta sculpture of the idol from the HP Lovecraft story "The Call of Cthulhu." The modeling is finished and needs to be fired and stained, by here's the process thus far:

First, the pedestal that the god Cthulhu rests on:
img_0837-600x450.jpg

Next is the Cthulhu figure himself:
img_1600-1-359x600.jpg

Finally, the attachment of Cthulhu's vestigial bat wings:
img_0891-450x600.jpg

When the idol is fired and stained next week, I'll post the final photo of it. Make a neat pipe, don't you think?

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
That's great. In honor of you I'm going to sacrifice three extra acolytes...then maybe chat with the King in Yellow.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Crap, everytime someone mentions that guy, my avatar gets all screwy. :rofl:

Gorgeous sculpture! :clap:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Chasingembers, what does Yog-Sothoth do to you? :evil:

Also, I apologize for the poor photography. All those tentacles get in the way and confuse the camera's focus. When my website launches soon, I'll have a pro photo taken.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Really cool sculpture. Big fan of Lovecraft and the worlds he created.
Fingers still crossed we'll finally see the Guillermo Del Toro At the Mountains of Madness film see completion, without Tom Cruise of course.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I too am looking for the Del Toro filmed version of "Mountains." Done right--and Del Toro's the man--this could be the greatest horror film ever made.

As for the sculpture, I'm a little dismayed that only by seeing the sculpture will one really appreciate it, because Cthulhu is surounded in octiopus arms. For the record, He's in a croaching postion, not hunched up as ather statues have him, the better to make molds from the other pieces. A mold of this idol would be impossible. Hopefully a good professional photo will make it better.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Hey, I won a science fair award in the fourth grade for my display on the octopus. What could be more natural?

And would you believe I haven't touched terra cotta in over thirty five years before doing this sculpture? Originally, I was going to display it at the World Fantay Convention, but it turned out I could make the long trip by car. Too bad. I was hoping to sell the idol for a similarly therapy-needy person. Now I'll have to spend my life walking the streets crying ou, "Ia! Yog-sothoth!!.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
ph'nglui mglw'nafh cthulhu r'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Awesome!
Evil and scary, but awesome.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Fantastic but I did think it was going to be a thread about a new tobacco blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.