Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Crumble Cake or Double Pressed?

(19 posts)
  1. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While looking at John Cotton's double pressed Virginia is was left wondering could all crumble cakes be called "double pressed" or is the pressing to form the cake something else? Or were the tobaccos in other cakes not pressed the first time? Just curious what others thoughts might be.

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

I believe cakes are just pressed pre-sliced and processed tobacco. The descriptions I've read of John Cotton's Double seem to say that they first make flakes, rub them out, and then re-press the ready rubbed ribbon into cake. This isn't common.

I haven't tried it but I worry this is hokum. I think right now we see an odd willingness in the pipe tobacco market to pay a premium for cake cuts - Seattle Pipe Club coming to mind at a $14/15 tin. The competition is a lot stronger and market is cheaper for ribbon and flake tobaccos, and sure Capstan is a $14 tin, but there doesn't seem a willingness to pay more for a flake online than that, especially when plenty of alternatives come in dollars cheaper than Capstan. You wouldn't see a new flake or ribbon cut enter the online market at $16 a tin. I believe John Cotton's is trying to differentiate and not compete with other, cheaper established tobaccos while cashing in on willingness to pay extra for cake cuts.

Posted 1 week ago #
  3. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

It seems the cost of a tobacco reflects the quantity of distinct leaf varieties in the blend and the time it takes to create. Demand also plays a role.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've smoked both, plenty of cakes. And there seems to be a very distinct difference.

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

I like the sounds of the new Kentucky cake, but $16 on a new blend isn’t really appealing right now.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

The price is unappealing, but some of the early reviews are very appealing, and the track record for Russ is also worth considering. And coming from cigars, my perspective is a bit different on price. That said, it better be good... for the price. You write a check when you charge a premium, and your blend better be able to cash it.

I enjoy crumble cakes, because I think they offer some of the benefits of flakes and plugs, but they're easier to work with.

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. greeneyes

greeneyes

Login to Send PM

While I'm not referring to any particular brand, I think it's important to mention that low-quality tobacco is still low-quality tobacco, even when pressed into a crumble kake or flake. It's the tobacco equivalent of "IPA," the thing that consumers flock to because that old-time format must guarantee a higher standard of quality. Anything can be pressed into a kake.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

While I'm not referring to any particular brand, I think it's important to mention that low-quality tobacco is still low-quality tobacco, even when pressed into a crumble kake or flake. It's the tobacco equivalent of "IPA," the thing that consumers flock to because that old-time format must guarantee a higher standard of quality. Anything can be pressed into a kake.

I agree. If the tobaccos do not taste good, a cake/crumble cake will not make a difference, and may even intensify unpleasant flavors. But I do think it makes a difference in the leaves marrying and intensifying similarly to a flake or plug. And I enjoy working with them.

I would also say these new JC blends are at an abnormally high price point compared to most crumble cakes available. Most cakes aren't any more expensive than flakes, in my experience.

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

There was an interesting interview with the guy who runs Sutliff (on the Pipes Radio Show, I think? or maybe the Country Squire podcast?) in which they discussed the JC cakes at length. According to him, as I understood it, the point of the double pressing is to simulate the aging process, or at least substitute for it so that you have a freshly tinned product that's ready to smoke. So I guess the idea is that the price premium is what you pay to skip a few years of waiting. Kind of the same thinking behind the hot pressing for MacB HH series, if I'm not mistaken. Something like an industrial scale version of sticking tins in the oven, sous vide, car trunk, garage rafters, etc. Again, that's all if I'm not mistaken and as far as I understand, which is not very far. Kind of sounds like hokum to me, but I'm of course still going to buy at least the Kentucky. Because it's, like, Pressed Twice, which must be better than all that tired old single pressed stuff.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. greeneyes

greeneyes

Login to Send PM

By the way the price was dropped to $13 a tin I think. And it's worth mentioning that the Twice-Pressed Va won the Chicago Show blind tasting. It's darn good if you're into that kind of mixture.

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

It falls apart easily and comes on the dry side.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That sho am a purdy cake!

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By the way the price was dropped to $13 a tin I think. And it's worth mentioning that the Twice-Pressed Va won the Chicago Show blind tasting. It's darn good if you're into that kind of mixture.

P&C does have it for $13.99/tin. Still listed higher on at least one other site.

Given the above info and the price drop, I'm intrigued enough order a tin and give it a whirl.

Posted 1 week ago #
  14. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

Beautiful looking cake.

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

I have had a couple of bowls of the Virginia Double Pressed. My initial take is that it smokes and has a flavor profile of a slightly aged VA. I quite like it. My one surprise is that it does have a nice dose of Vitamin N. I have a high tolerance and it does not bother me in the least. I do think it is worth noting for those looking for it or those that want to stay clear of that aspect.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 1 week ago #
  16. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

Most crumble cakes are just made of cut leaf while the double pressed, as noted by brooklynpiper, starts out as a flake which is tumbled out. You'll notice the difference when you rub out the double pressed as the pieces more resemble rubbed-out flake tobacco.

Russ

Posted 5 days ago #
  17. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Those double pressed offerings are heckin’ intriguing.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 4 days ago #
  18. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

I don't know when I'll next have the cash to do an American order but whenever it is these will be at the top of my list, they both sound right up my alley especially the Double Pressed Virginia and overall it's an intriguing concept.

Chris

Posted 3 days ago #
  19. spartan99

spartan99

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most crumble cakes are just made of cut leaf while the double pressed, as noted by brooklynpiper, starts out as a flake which is tumbled out. You'll notice the difference when you rub out the double pressed as the pieces more resemble rubbed-out flake tobacco.

Definitely. All of mine came from the Chicago show, and I didn't know it came in cakes until I saw Spartacus's picture. As Russ says, it looks more like a well rubbed-out flake.

Posted 3 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ashdigger, alaskanpiper, nhhiggy, ben88, snagstangl, 64alex, danimalia, upnorth1, cshubhra, canadianpuffer, jaytex969, scottfree