PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Picked up a bottle of Crown Royal Maple at the local store today. When I got home I poured a glass...Damn! It tastes like drinking maple cookies dunked in whisky. This is certainly not an everyday drink, but its a nice change of pace especially for the winter chills.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I almost bought a bottle of this the other day. I am usually up on the latest whiskys and this one was no where on my radar. Is it sweet like maple syrup or just a finish taste of maple?

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I love crown royal and have 5 of their different whiskys. Never heard of this one though...

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
and I'll take two bottles of the cheap stuff over one good bottle anyday.
Not me. You wouldnt smoke two bowls of borkum riff instead of penzance, so why drink two bottles of e&j instead of makers mark

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
E&J!
vomit-smiley-011.gif

If you want something inexpensive, I like the Ezra Brooks 90°. It actually is smooth and has good flavor for a low-prices whiskey.
I actually prefer Canadian Hunter to Crownh, but the maple sounds curiously good.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It's as smooth as regular Crown, with a maple syrup finish. I'm not advocating this for all the time drinking, that's Laphroiag for me. Crown Royal Maple is nice as an aperitif, when the occasion calls for it.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I bought a 750ml bottle of this for a Christmas present to give to someone. I also bought one of the small bottles of it so I could taste it beforehand.
It's disgusting. Overpowering maple flavor. I even mixed it with some coke, and the maple flavor STILL overpowered the soda flavor. It's way too rich. I don't think I could give this as a gift to anyone. I don't know why they would put this on the shelves like it is. They need to tone it WAY down.
Just my opinion of course. :crazy:

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
@Spartan
Does that mean you are not going to give the 750ml bottle as a gift any more? I will take it off your hands.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Ezra Brooks is always on tap for me. I have never enjoyed Crown Royal. And most top shelf stuff in the stores has never tasted so over the top amazing that I just have to switch over to it. Queen Anne does just fine. Ancient Age does just fine. Maker's Mark is good, but it's not that good. I prefer some Beam Black in the world of Bourbon. If I'm gonna drop some dough on a nice bottle, I just go straight for Booker's. The Levits is big here in Dayton. I don't care for it. The floral stuff in scotch comes out really strong in it. Tickles my nose. I prefer Fiddich.
Smokes are entirely different to me. Maybe because I smoked cigarettes for so long my standards are lower. I don't know.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
IMHO, Crown Royal & Crown Royal Black are really nice drinks. Not sure that I would be excited to have maple added to the drink, I think it would take away from it. As far as bourbon goes Maker's Mark is good, but my current favourite is Knob Creek. Don't really see the appeal of Scotch myself.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Jack Daniels and Wild Tuekey are making honey whiskey. Heard the Jack is great.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Finding a scotch is more of a journey in my opinion than bourbons or whiskeys(I'll drink them all), took me a long time to find one scotch that I liked. Its Glenmorangie.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I've had Crown Royal its drinkable. I have a few of the purple bags and I keep fly reels in them. I never buy it, it is always gifted to me. If I'm going to buy whiskey for me, it will be scotch. The only flavorings in whisky I like are peat, smoke, or the kind of barrel they were aged in. Laphroaig cask strength quarter cask is tops on my list to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.