PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogdoc81

Lurker
Nov 26, 2015
Okay guys and gals. I find myself enjoying "crossover blends" that I've tried. Basically the Frog Morton line. I'd love some recommendations on similar blends I should be sampling. Thanks.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I really like Mac Baren's Plumcake. It's got just a touch of latakia, used as a condiment and not a basic ingredient, and a nice topping!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Get yourself a tin of Dunhill Nightcap, or some straight Latakia, and add it in tiny increments to any aro you happen to like. Blending is not rocket science. Personally I think crossovers are like pouring A1 steak sauce on banana cream pie, but to each his own.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
...did someone mention Royal Yacht?
Crossovers are great because you taste the leaf, complemented by a top note, instead of a soda-style flavoring that replaces the tobacco flavor itself.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
The proper "non-tobaccophobic" term is "Transblend".
The term "crossover" is offensive and hurtful to pipe tobacco.
Thank you.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Some good ones already mentioned. I'll add; Sillem's Black, Northwoods by Boswell's, Cognac Mixture by Smokers Haven, Pembroke Esoterica (much harder to find), Bengal Slices has an amazing top note that just makes the blend magical in my opinion, Shortcut to Mushrooms by Just For Him and Perfection by Samuel Gawith. I think you will enjoy all of these tremendously if you enjoy the Frog Morton's and want to go further down that rabbit hole. Enjoy!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Plum Cake, The Solent Mixture, And So To Bed, Pembroke, lots of good ones out there!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Two Friends (Tarler & Pease) offer some unique cross-over blends. I smoke English Chocolate quite often and Valle Crusis is very different with a ginger toping.

dogdoc81

Lurker
Nov 26, 2015
Got my order placed. Bengal Slice, Plumcake, and Perfection on the way. In my mind I am going to find the five tobaccos that keep me happy and that's all I will need. In reality I keep trying things I like and needing more cellar space. Happy hunting I suppose.

sladeburns

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
A lot of good suggestions. As I love crossovers, I'm making a note of a few myself. I've found that regular FM or Nightcap plus C&D Autumn Evening mixes very well. Smokey English plus maple or caramel just work. If you really want to take a walk on the wildside there is C&D Captain Bob's blend. English + grape. It was too much for my brain to wrap around but YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.