PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The thread on Ripe Honeydew got me thinking: What do you consider to be a 'crossover' aromatic? I'm sure everyone has a different definition.
When I think of this term, I think of applying it to GLP Barbary Coast, Erinmore Flake, and maybe even University Flake.
Thoughts?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
What is the true definition of an aromatic? My idea is that it is a sweet tobacco blend with a casing and/or topping designed to produce a fragrant room note. I don't think UF would qualify under this definition.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Yes, my review got me thinkin too...I have no clue what a crossover is, lol!! I understand it's between a non-aro and aro, let's say a topped english blend, but would I recognize one at first pass while smoking? I doubt it!
Is Orlik Golden Slice topped or cased? And if so, does that make it a crossover, or just a va/per with a little sweetness?
Also...McC ripe says on the tin, "naturally sweet" does that mean, no topping, or does it imply a "natural" casing, like honey or molasses?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Murray's Erinmore Flake sounded like a crossover aromatic (I never tried it) whereas my tin of Orlik Erinmore Flake was not heavily topped at all. The flavouring was quite subdued - I was surprised.
Frog Morton is the quintessential crossover English.
I honestly steer clear of crossovers so I don't know offhand what would qualify.
Erinmore would've been my first suggestion based on other people's reviews but my one and only tin was just a fruity Va/Bur IMO. It wouldn't be fair to call it a crossover because it never had enough aromatic oomph...

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I think I read: topping is an "additive" that does not come across in flavor, only in room note. Casing is an added flavor component.
I may have tossed them around in my previous post, but it is only because I am not sure which in in OGS or McC ripe, lol!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have smoked various crossover English blends; I have as yet to find one I like enough that I'm not tired of it by the time I've gone through 4 ounces.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I like Sillem's Black. The only crossover-aromatic that I hold true to the name. A Latakia-Based Aromatic? Yummy!

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Captain Bob's Blend (C&D) is a Light English Aromatic. However, the term "cross-over" can be confusing to pipesmokers. It all depends on where you are wanting to be eventually. So, with that said I would not recommend my blend as a "cross-over". Rather it is an aromatic that does contain Latakia and Perique. If you desire a cross-over blend to get into Latakia blends I would rather recommend a Light English that is not aromatic such as "Good Morning" by C&D. It will let you know that it means business without too much Latakia. If you really want to cross-over into Latakia Blends, avoid aromatics entirely and choose a light latakia non-aromatic blend to see if you really want to "cross-over". I just happen to prefer aromatics that do contain "light" Latakia. Those blends are most certainly in a minority but they do have a following. If nothing else they allow you to enjoy an element of Latakia to spice up your smoke while not offending anyone. My wife does not like Latakia but I do. She loves my blend but has no idea that it is 1/16th Latakia. Don't tell her!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.